A survivalist on why you shouldn't bug out

There you go again.

Ya know, not everyone is a narcissist.

3 Likes

Shit! Jeremyā€™s in on it too! I knew it. I just knew it.

4 Likes

Not enough ammo, not enough grenades, not enough food cans. Otherwise a good start. :smiley:

8 Likes

Iā€™m under the impression thatā€™s just to get you to your actual storehouse.

2 Likes

A single can of spam has 1020 calories. Give me dried beans and cured fatback along with a giant can of dried lemonade. Iā€™ll outlast all yā€™all.

3 Likes

Then better. But still, better have several more high-capacity magazines almost[1] full of ammo.

[1] Use one or two bullets less for less stress on the spring. Especially in suboptimal storage overstressed springs are prone to failure by both material fatigue and stress corrosion cracking. Optimally keep ammo out of the magazines, save a few for buying you time to load them up.

2 Likes

Hey, I can scrap that at my workbench for enough steel to start a guard post, though Iā€™ll need a few more chessboards to have enough woodā€¦

Still not a very good deal though; as Mad Max teaches us, the apocalyptic future will be ruled by drugged out psychos in a weird mixture of athletic/S&M gear; so chems will always be valued.

3 Likes

Mad max also teaches us water is most important. And guess who has a well.

##I am your ruler now!

10 Likes

In case of zombies, Iā€™d be interested in giving polearms a try.

Reputable Sources agree that zombies are pretty dumb; but their ferocious hunger and/or transmissible rage virus make the idea of using a close melee weapon unappealing; and their immunity to pain, shock, and blood loss means that your ammo probably wonā€™t stretch as far as you might want it to.

Instead, scramble up to some sort of perch that the clumsy shambling hordes canā€™t climb; deliberately make lots of noise to attract them, and proceed to thin the herd like a comically dressed Swiss guardsman!

3 Likes

And there you go, denying subjectivity when it seems convenient for groupthink exercises.

What do I break the glass with? Sorry take it back didnā€™t see the axe at the bottom.

And there you go again, falsely positing that subjectivity and society are isolatable opposites.

6 Likes

Here you go:

8 Likes

Please, sir, can we have some aquacola?

2 Likes

and theyā€™ll outnumber you 100 to 1. Not good odds. :slight_smile:

You need more ammo. And landmines as your silent sentries along the perimeter.

A humble arduino with good powersaving mode and some sensors can yield a pretty good smart mine. If buried a little away from the actual energetic part and suitably encapsulated, can be even reusable.

And with a modified Birkeland-Eyde optionally combined with Fischer-Tropsch you can make explosives and propellants from air, water, and waste plant biomass. As long as you have enough electricity (wind farm, perhaps? water dam? buried Toshiba 4S nuclear reactor?) you have the resources for sustained defense.

A lot of the materials needed can be scavenged from abandoned cars and related infrastructure; lead plates for electrolysis, platinum catalysts for hydrogen recombination or for ammonia-to-NO burning if weā€™d go the more efficient but more complex ammonia route, nitrogen generator from an abandoned fuel station (some have them for inflating tires instead of using air), microwave ovens from abandoned RVs or from apartments for microwave-assisted variant on Haber-Boschā€¦

ā€¦an engineer can deserve his imperialist bozo steakā€¦

We can take care of ourselves. I could elaborate, but loose lips sink ships.

Besides, I donā€™t want to stray too far from the spirit of the OP, which is basically a sweet one: instead of planning how to offend/defend, why not plan how to get along and rebuild? I was just reacting to the arrogant assumptions about where the skillz are, and what the key skillz are, not the general idea.

4 Likes

Agreement. However, the offend/defend has to be a plan B. We need both.

Youā€™re the mother in a rural Midwestern family. Your household is 80 acres large. Youā€™re a dayā€™s ride from the nearest city.

TSHTF.

Now migrants from the city and beyond are ambling towards your little neck of the woods, desperate and hungry.

Hypothetical? No. Thatā€™s what the Great Depression looked like to a lot of people. And for most, it was a challenge towards their religion, not their marksmanship.

Survivalists who donā€™t compare their fantasies to precedent deserve a good amount of derision.

14 Likes