A thread of our own- misogyny (Part 1)

The difference in outcomes of these cases makes me skeptical:

Time will tell if the sentence in this case is carried out, or if another appeal is successful.

14 Likes

Yeah, money and power deform justice everywhere on our planet.

The details of this case are nauseating.

I had a college roommate from Kerala (a far cry from Pakistan, culturally) who educated me about eve-teasing and related aspects of eve-teasing culture in parts of South Asia. She explained soooooooooo much about misogyny to dumb ol’ 18-year-old midwestern [U.S.] me.

I was aghast, truly. It seemed like a system specifically designed to enrage and make insane any woman lucky enough to survive to adulthood. I asked her how she managed and she said it wasn’t nearly as bad in Kerala but it was still pretty awful. Ye gods.

I am hoping that having this all wide open in world media will at least carry some “the whole world is watching” energy to the case. As we all know, YMMV

15 Likes
14 Likes

s reactions share GIF

18 Likes
18 Likes

Whereas men would be called “very direct”, which isnt nearly as negative

15 Likes

Maybe it’s like not calling out people’s race when they’re white. “Abrasive” is understood as the default personality for men?
Kind of kidding, not kidding.

13 Likes

Or just, you know, “men.” Because direct, abrasive behavior is pretty much a norm and often an expectation for men.

11 Likes

I read this book a while ago

And was quite chagrined to realize how many of these mannerisms I’d intuitively learned as coping mechanisms over the past 15 years. Really fucking annoyed, too. So much emotional labor that the guys don’t need to put in. :rage:

16 Likes

Great story, plus cyanotypes!

Sorry, I didn’t want to put it in a misogyny thread

5 Likes

Yep. And there’s not even overload pay for that!

And thanks, that looks like a good book.

10 Likes

Ha! It’s probably a major reason they wanted their own island.

10 Likes

No words.
TW: partial quote from the article contains violence against woman, children

Gutierrez Rios warned the court that Mora was dangerous, and she had fought for a restraining order for the girls as well, but the court ultimately granted him supervised visitations on weekends.

“I have moved out of the house with the children because I am afraid of [Mora] and concerned [for] my safety and the safety of my children,” she said in court documents.

Gutierrez Rios said in court documents that Mora had been abusive for a decade and had choked her, pushed her, thrown things at her and threatened to kill her.

13 Likes

Wow, I found this book on my library’s comic book e-lender app and just finished it. I SO wish I’d had something like this when I was a kid.
And fuck whomever thinks it should be banned. It is so innocent and heartfelt! And educational. Like the article says, it’s very much like wanting to ban a health textbook.
Highly recommend.

8 Likes

s reactions share GIF

12 Likes

Hopefully, when she wins the civil suit and bankrupts him; they’ll have enough evidence from discovery to slam the barred door on him.

13 Likes

Holler Emmy Awards GIF by Emmys

10 Likes

In the margins as I read the previous article

10 Likes

It’s all fun and games until you get a restraining order, West.

You do realize that this kind of behavior doesn’t lend itself to your having unsupervised visits with your kids? You present as violent and unstable.

13 Likes

Yes, he seems violent and unstable, sure, but that doesn’t seem to matter much. See j9c’s post. And that bastard wasn’t famous.

Neither was this one (local to me): Mother of murder-suicide victim speaks out and pushes for change | rocketcitynow.com

I know there are many more out there, but I don’t have the emotional resources to look for more right now.

7 Likes