A woman's Christmas dragons on her lawn were called "demonic" by a neighbor, so she added more

One of the houses near my university had a Halloween display of skeletons holding a funeral. I drove by it the other day, and now there’s a Christmas creche – with the skeletons dressed up as Mary, Joseph, and the wise men. I should really get a picture of that while it’s still up.

32 Likes

Easier than conjuring or evoking.
It seems they are a Christian thing:

5 Likes

There’s one near me, no nativity, but the year-round skeletons sport Santa hats at least this time of year.

2 Likes

Don’t forget the dragon caganer!

eta: Some are less subtle than others.

18 Likes

These are from Home Depot fer X sake.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Accents-Holiday-8-ft-W-Pre-lit-Inflatable-Kaleidoscope-Dragon-with-Flaming-Mouth-and-Present-Airblown-111871/305026333

17 Likes

Speaking as a Christian, this dragon display is deeply awesome, and I’d take it any day over yet another soulless, commercialized standard Christmas display, even – especially – if it includes a soulless, commercialized standard Nativity scene.

15 Likes

Ignorance is a monster. Here’s to celebrating Winter Solstice, something that has been done since probably Neolithic times!

9 Likes

That’s why the name sounded familiar!
The last time I went judgmental on a neighbor, it was to request they stop dumping their leftovers over the fence line onto my lawn. A pile of uneaten fried rice drawing pests is no one’s friend.

6 Likes

good for her. i’d totally do the same thing.

6 Likes

The neighbor should count her blessing because it could be worse… much worse…

38 Likes

I would’ve bought a sh!tload of tacky LED lights with which to festoon the dragons, enough that they could be seen from space.

2 Likes

Santa riding a dragon instead of a sleigh is the most metal thing since the 1980s. You do not want to be on that elf’s naughty list.

4 Likes

Godzilla Xmas tree?

I am HERE FOR IT!

12 Likes

A local “City X the Beautiful Committee” member (I am quite sure they are self appointed) sent my parents a note about their post box. It was too rusted. My mother liked the way it was aging. So she ignored the note. Then somebody approached her while she was gardening. The conversation went something like, “Oh how lovely the garden is, but it is a little chaotic. Perhaps some roses would help. You garden without gloves? How do you do it? Could you do something about your mailbox? It reflects poorly on the whole town.”

My mother promised to do something about the problem.

My parents have been taking fairly large oval rocks- near boulder sized- and painting eyes on them like the local chachkies sold at beach stores. My sister and I wondered where they were going. It turns out they drop them off in the middle of nowhere when they go on trips. I can see them driving along the backroads of the Mojave thinking how funny it is going to be when somebody finds one of their stones.

The next weekend they left on an “expedition” to solve the problem.

They returned with all the cool rusted, dented and shot up metal they could find. Artfully piled up on top of the post box, around the bottom, creeping up the side are bits and pieces of rusted metal, all scavenged from creek beds and desert roads. “The City X the Beautiful Community” member returned and my parents thanked the committee for the encouragement to improve the property and took every backhanded and passive aggressive compliment as though it was heartfelt encouragement for their efforts.

Some time later, my mother watched somebody steal some plants. They dug them right up, and planted them in their manicured yard. It’s a small city with small town irritations.

My mother has planted more and more pokey and sharp plants. She plants rare bee friendly natives when she can. There is a giant rusted lumber hook hanging from the porch now, for the birds to perch on. I love the place, to me and most others, its attractive. It isn’t an English garden or a lush green lawn, but neither is my family. I shudder to think what will happen if the committee ever approaches them again. Perhaps the The Cask of Amontillado in the backyard shed.

25 Likes

34 Likes

Never heard of a “Christmas Dragon” before, but they are awesome.

4 Likes

tsk tsk … taking the X out of Xmas!!

1 Like

11 Likes

“…for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.”
– Matthew 2:2

9 Likes

I would have gone full baphomet. So as far as I’m concerned the neighbor got off light.

Yes please.

4 Likes