Actually, Solo is good

I just thought that was poor design, not a plot hole (right below the main port).

3 Likes

Cool article, akbar5656. Thanks for that. Yeah, I saw it in a Regal theater, and by what they say in the article, Regal seems to be one of other bigger offenders for poorly-lit projectors.

Still, I’m not a fan at all of the gloomy, washed-out look that seems to be in fad lately. Like this pic, taken from the end of the article:

2 Likes

To me Bradford Young’s cinematography going from Dark to Light thematically as Han’s story progressed was one of the highlights of the film.

3 Likes
4 Likes

I guess…

anatomy

4 Likes

bem

3 Likes

I don’t think George Lucas is responsible for killing 1.5 million people, unless you count Alderaan.

2 Likes

There are humans who have survived shark attacks which took substantial chunks out of their bodies. Maybe not to this extent, but, it’s Fantasy Space Battles, not Jedi Attack Survivor Accounts, so who knows. Narratively, I thought it worked well enough, even if you don’t have much exposure to the other stories.

It might be interesting to see Disney do to Star Wars what they’ve done with Marvel.

But I have learned that Maul is from Zabrak, and now I wonder what Maul’s people are ultimately like. Not enough to go looking for that info on my own, but still.

1 Like

see also: Bobba Fett

4 Likes

I liked it
:star2::men_wrestling: <–Star Wars in emoji

2 Likes

Oh don’t get me started on how much I loathe Fett. One of my greatest joys is watching him die like a chump knocked down by a mostly blind guy.

3 Likes

I had no idea about Maul (obviously my time playing the Clone Wars pinball game didn’t prepare me adequately), and it did throw me. Also L3 sounding like Phasma.

But the weirdest thing that got to me was the video cameras in the mine. Is that the only time anyone in Star Wars has had realistic video technology, rather than dodgy holograms?

(But having complained about continuity, I also thought the constant references to previous films was pretty painful.)

2 Likes

While holocoms do seem like more the norm in SW, there are plenty of screen-coms (think anytime Vader speaks to anyone in the fleet when he is in his chambers, Solo tricking the Empire into opening the bunker in RotJ)

Fair enough. I’m obviously no expert, it just seemed suddenly strange.

I always thought the plan wasn’t shared with anyone because they were being tracked by the Empire First Order and THEY DIDN’T KNOW HOW. The most likely reason being there is a spy onboard, so keep the plan to a minimum number of people.

There was NO reason for Poe to have to know the plan other than he’s a main character. He’s not part of the command or even the bridge officers.

I’m not aiming any anger at you or anything, just saying the way I saw it. In the weeks following the movie I was perplexed by how many people thought Poe should obviously been told about the plan. (Service on an actual ship may make me see this differently than most.)

1 Like

That was the assumption I made as well as the easiest reason to know why it wasn’t being shared. It kind of falls apart then if they took the spy with them tho once they had escaped. But ultimately, admirals do not have to share their plans with pilots. Even in the weird near democracy yet still military of the Rebellion/Resistance.

2 Likes

After seeing Rogue One I WISH it was just poor design. I really disliked that we find out it was intentional. Not EVERYTHING has to be part of somebody’s heroic storyline.

In the expanded universe a guy seen for one shot on Bespin was actually working for the Rebels and the device he was carrying had names of spies that couldn’t fall into the Empire’s hands! BLAGH

I did like in the novel “Death Star” that the design flaw turned out to be an accident. It wasn’t SUPPOSED to be there, but through logistical oversites, it remained right through to completion. (I know a little bit of non-movie lore, but officially, if it’s not in a movie, it’s not real for me. =o)

2 Likes

Wikipedia (I always seem to end up on a page about the Nazis, no matter where I start) and TVtropes (data crack) have swallowed up a lot of my spare time over; but, what’s this folklore.org you mention? Surely there can’t be any harm in popping in there. Those tales of people spending years away with the fairies must be massively exaggerated…

2 Likes

Poe got demoted two ranks from commander to captain because he got an entire wing of bombers destroyed for a Phyrric victory. He wouldn’t have been privy to the strategy meetings even if he hadn’t been demoted. The lack of pilots in the resistance (partly caused by him) is the only reason I can think of to explain why he wasn’t put in the brig, and I still think that was a mistake.

3 Likes

True this. But I’ve noticed that many fans seem to complain if there isn’t some sort of tie-in, so what’re you gonna do?

For the record, as a plot point, I did think it sort of worked. I had other issues with RO which didn’t have much to do with the plot, given how disruptive it was towards the original original Starred Wars, but I prefer it to Ep. 7.

I guess I’m just sick of seeing stories about Death Stars. Grow a clue, space fascists! They. Don’t. Work!

Edited to add: the most effective movie in the entire series had no Death Star. Not even mentioned. And the most effective scene in Solo wherein the Empire flexed its military muscle featured one Star Destroyer.

2 Likes