Ad agency guys make their own anti-Trump ad, it's good

You make a valid point, Trump is the only presidential candidate with a clear, anti-dihydrogen monoxide position.

6 Likes

1 Like

Bless you! Thank you for bringing up the most urgent and dare I say it fluid issue of our times!

2 Likes

Yeah. It is pretty amazing, and I think (hope) a lot of Americans are watching all this in the same way we might slow down to see a car wreck on the highway: curious but still grossed-out. My mother is a life-long Republican and she isn’t watching the convention, thinks Trump is a “childish buffoon”, and is disgusted that the GOP openly bragged about how they were going to thwart Obama’s every move. But she’s “old school.” The fact that Trump gets away with being so offensive and clueless and has so much damning baggage is a tell that the GOP has allowed itself to be strong-armed by angry, know-nothing numbskulls – this ain’t your mother’s GOP anymore. They’ve been cultivating this kind of horseshit for decades and now they’re going to have to lie in that bed of manure.

I heard a conservative claiming that “Trump is actually doing well in the polls”, and he cited how far ahead Dukakis was at this point, and yet still lost to Bush-1. But this ain’t 1988, and Trump has never been ahead of Hillary in the polls even for a day, in the same way Romney never edged ahead of Obama. The only difference this time around is the GOP has managed to roll back voting rights laws, so we may see riots at some polling places come November.

6 Likes

My big fear is that in between gerrymandering and striking voters off the rolls, the Republicans just might manage to steal this election. Even that relies on there being a disturbingly large number of Trump voters…

1 Like

https://twitter.com/theresa_lauren/status/755204755530670080

4 Likes

Trump’s campaign isn’t based upon appealling to the mainstream.

It’s based on getting out the Klan base, and stopping anyone else from voting via voter suppression and violence. I expect to see a gaggle of open-carry Trumpeters standing outside every polling booth, aggressively interrogating any brown person who dares to vote.

It probably won’t succeed, but the demolition of the VRA made it possible.

Even if he loses, he isn’t going to gracefully concede. He’ll be screaming about stolen elections and the second-amendment solution. It’s gonna be bloody.

2 Likes

Apparently they were doing this on facebook video earlier in the week. I don’t know how they got on, but it sounds like they weren’t sure that they could list all of them inside of four hours, so more than 30 seconds seems right.

1 Like

I’m honestly expecting an upswing in white supremacist terrorism over the next decade as they get more and more marginalized and petulant. The sovereign citizen movement will continue to grow, and likely continue to merge and overlap with the white supremacist militia groups, as their general joint attitude is essentially “Waaaah! I don’t want to be told what to do! I don’t want to contribute to society! Society has to contribute to me!”

2 Likes

When the issue of Trump’s lawsuits first came up the number I heard was 3500 in three decades, which means an average of about one lawsuit every three days. He must have an office full of lawyers on his payroll, which means whatever money he saves by suing some contractor out of what he’s owed just goes towards his legal bills-- more evidence that Trump isn’t a smart businessman at all.

6 Likes

Had to look this up. They wouldn’t vote for this guy because of an excited ‘yeehaa’? Hang up your cowboy hats guys, you’ve clearly forgotten how to America.

5 Likes

Honestly, it kind of baffled me at the time. He did the grassroots small donations thing with a strong online component to great success - so much so I’ve often wondered if Obama cribbed that particular play.

Then there was the scream and I thought it was a joke. But it wasn’t. ? Would love it if anyone else has thoughts / theories on the matter.

2 Likes

It is rather amazing. The tradition is that any candidate who does anything even slightly imperfect or unusual that anyone can grab ahold of renders them unacceptable as president. Somehow acting like a stupid racist asshole all the time is cool though - points for consistency? there’s no one thing to grab hold of? it’s due to the implosion of celebrity culture and politics (so as long as you have a track record of being an entertaining buffoon, you’re cool)? the appeal of the racist demagoguery wins out?

4 Likes

It comes down to what their image is. Dean was trying to project the image of a serious candidate with solid grassroots support. His yell was in and of itself a funny attempt at a “yee-haw”, but more importantly, it seemed out-of-character.
So far, everything Trump has done, no matter how outrageous, has been completely in sync with his public persona. The people who have bought into that persona are not going to be convinced by the rest of us going “HOW CAN YOU NOT SEE HE’S A BUFFOONISH CON-MAN?!?!?” Full Frontal did a segment Monday night asking evangelicals how they can support such a venal, immoral man, and the main answers seemed to be:

1. He’s not Clinton
  2. Everything bad about him is upfront, so at least he has nothing to hide.
    Apparently both of those things make him trustworthy…
1 Like

It’s always more than that, though - it’s anything “odd” or “goofy” that a candidate does that becomes a target to be trotted out to make them seem “unpresidential.” Trump, on the other hand, has no qualities that make him fit for the office, so somehow every single “gaffe” is just his normal self, not a disadvantage.
That Sam Bee segment had me baffled, too - of course he has things he’s hiding - pretty much everything. His whole persona and history are constructs that have little relation to reality, but again, either people don’t know that or they don’t care. And being “not-Hillary” doesn’t explain how he, of all the dumpster fires that were Republican candidates, got chosen.

Because “Giant Meteor” decided to run as an Independant.

1 Like

he has a point. the stuff is dangerous.

I hear that they still haven’t managed to find a cure for dihydrogen monoxide addiction. As far as I know, once you have one dose, you can’t stop using or the withdrawal will kill you (and the dependency can even pass to your child)!

If that weren’t bad enough, this chemical has been found, locked safely for centuries or longer in the ice of the polar icecaps, but because of global warming, it has been steadily been leaking into the oceans as the ice melts.

And, to make it even more dangerous, in some places HOH addicts who can’t afford the pure stuff have to get their fix from sources that have been adulterated with all sorts of nasty shit, and are dying from that too.

It’s just sad.

3 Likes

Imagine the economic benefits of The War on HOH Abuse. Entrepreneurs in the jail business will raise the market to a total different level!

1 Like

See http://www.slate.com/articles/podcasts/whistlestop/2016/01/john_dickerson_revisits_the_dean_scream_of_2004.html

The TLDR version is that Dean’s campaign was already in freefall before the scream. That event was more just the final nail in the coffin, which provided the media with a chance to mock the left and push the sort of simplistic soundbite narratives they’re addicted to.