Adapter lets you use K-Cups in an Aeropress and coffee guys are absolutely furious

If you dispense this into a ceramic coffee mug, won’t the bottom of the kcup eventually touch the level of the brew?

Only tea can rival coffee for the plethora of ways to make it and the snobbery surrounding each person’s preferred method. Me, I just use an old, reliable drip maker and it serves. Might replace the current one with one that has the thermal pot instead of the warming plate, but otherwise… it’s coffee, I’m not really that concerned about how I get it into my mug.

11 Likes

I think this is the most likely answer. We’re reformed Keurig owners who now use an Aeropress and still have boxes of unused pods. My first thought was, “Huh, that’s clever”, not outrage.

3 Likes

I guess it’s for people who don’t know how to use the scoop that comes with an Aeropress

I guess if you’ve got easy and cheap access to K-cups this is kinda useful? Of course, Aeropress filters aren’t sold in most grocery stores, so in some ways this might be more accessible - but you’ll obviously be stuck with the high price, plastic waste and relatively low quality coffee of these pods. Then again, if you’ve gone out of your way to buy an Aeropress, you can probably endure the minor hassle of buying a pack of filters every few months. This seems like it targets a very small overlapping group of Aeropress owners and coffee pod users though.

The real question is whether the adapter is only available in plastic or whether I can get one made of cast iron.

6 Likes

In the worst case, the plastic adapter can presumably be used to produce a lost PLA/ABS/whatever cast with the assistance of comparatively cheap and simple molding techniques.

1 Like

So if you used one of these with a reusable K-cup knockoff would that make this more blasphemous or less?

9 Likes

I assumed that it evolved this bright orange color to indicate that it is not real coffee, and should not be ingested by accident.

See also: poison-dart tree frogs.

/s

6 Likes

Adapterception.

5 Likes

But how would you clean it?

3 Likes

I am about to turn into an espresso snob, because I like espresso and want to graduate from my Nespresso machine. The convenience of stuff like that is hard to really shake your head at - I can slap a little thingy into a machine, push a button, and get espresso-flavored concentrated coffee in just a few seconds. It’s markedly better than a K-cup, which for some reason are just like really mediocre drip coffee, I think because they are only 4oz cups of coffee’ worth of coffee grounds but no one drinks a 4oz cup of drip coffee.

That said, I COULD just fill my own nespresso pods, except apparently that is all the pain of making real espresso plus having to finagle the little pods, which aren’t intended to be reusable as the machine punctures both ends of the pod and one end is punctured by something that looks like a cheese grater when you look at the cap of the used pod.

This does seem like something where “I want to make aeropress coffee, and my friend bought k-cups for the camping trip, and I brought my aeropress but not any coffee.”

3 Likes

But how would you sharpen it?

6 Likes

I confess to having used K-cup coffee in my Aeropress once because it was the only coffee I had available, but I had to empty like four K-cups to make one cup of medium-bad coffee. I can’t imagine how bad it would be with a single K-cup. One cup of weak dishwater?

2 Likes

Baristas hate this one weird hack.

2 Likes

Are coffee bags (like tea bags) a thing? A tea bag is about the simplest solution for immersing granular material to create flavored liquid while keeping the granules from being ingested.

Yes. They’re called pads.

1 Like

@FGD135 got you on that one. As for tea, well, I take the Ted Lasso approach to it.

tea_ted

(note: I do like some herbal teas, just messing around).

2 Likes

Wouldn’t the stale coffee grounds season it, so to speak?

You probably won’t like a flair. It involves manual preheating.