ADL encourages Kanye West to do more than apologise

Originally published at: ADL encourages Kanye West to do more than apologise - Boing Boing

3 Likes

Apology today, more insults tomorrow.

Leopards don’t change their spots, only eat faces.

11 Likes

elaine benes GIF by HULU

There really is no accounting for good taste.

6 Likes

Is it a nonpology rendered into Hebrew? Does he promise not to spew this hateful crap going forward? I’ll agree with the ADL that this is a “wait and see” situation.

9 Likes

Does Kanye even know what it says?

“ With his new album less than three weeks away from release, Kanye West has taken to Instagram to post a blanket apology to the Jewish community for unspecified past actions… in Hebrew.

The boilerplate nature of the message, translated into English, led many fans and detractors alike to wonder whether the message was really written by West or a business associate — or even Chat GPT — coming so shortly after the superstar was captured live, on camera, sounding the opposite of penitent.

The translation seen at the top of the comments section for Ye’s fresh post reads: ““I sincerely apologize to the Jewish community for any unintended outburst caused by my words or actions. It was not my intention to hurt or disrespect, and I deeply regret any pain I may have caused. I am committed to starting with myself and learning from this experience to ensure greater sensitivity and understanding in the future. Your forgiveness is important to me, and I am committed to making amends and promoting unity.””

11 Likes

The way he thinks that Hebrew is the right language in which to address Jewish Americans reminds me of the occasion when Trump was speaking to a Jewish audience and referred to Benjamin Netanyahu as “your Prime Minister”.

ETA: Both Trump and Kanye seem to look on Jewish Americans as if they are like Irish-Americans or Italian-Americans, for instance. They assume that all Jews have relatives in Israel and an emotional connection to Israel, and that their ancestral Jewish culture (including languages) is the same thing as Israeli culture.

17 Likes

I feel fairly confident that the extreme and disproportionate violence unleashed by Israel and its complete disregard for the growing horror among the global community is what has caused Kanye to rethink his prior critical stance.

2 Likes

From what was said by people that knew Kanye, he’s had these racist views and thoughts for years. This coupled for his supposed love for Hitler i still couldn’t care for whatever he has to say, an apology means nothing and as this post’s title says he really needs to back it up with action. However i doubt my opinion of him will ever improve.

14 Likes

Maybe he is the only narcissistic sociopath to ever care about events that don’t directly impact them, but I have my doubts.

Same.

2 Likes

Let him apologize in a language his followers can understand.
ETA: The same language he curses Jews in.

9 Likes

Never underestimate the redemptive power of lost revenue.

10 Likes

asshole

9 Likes

Gibberish. He doesn’t know the meaning of the word “outburst” which is ironic as he has many.

I’m starting to think there is a deterioration in basic language skills among the PR professionals who write these apologies.

Maybe it is connected with the continual and sustained contempt for a college education that has become the norm on American social media (and yes, I know a college education is not required for basic literacy).

3 Likes

The whole thing was probably created by some software and run through google translate.

9 Likes

Well, that is clearly bullshit right off the bat. Even if we were to give him the benefit of the doubt that he feels bad about it now he clearly intended his words to be outrageous and divisive at the time.

A genuine apology would start with an admission that his original statements were bad and came from a bad place, followed by a commitment to grow and improve as a human being.

12 Likes

13 Likes

Would have been nice if they’d taken the same approach with Musk. The ADL chief praised Musk and specifically said that he “appreciates this leadership in fighting hate” just a couple days after Musk had posted some antisemitic garbage.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/4321955-adl-chief-defends-praise-musk/

10 Likes

Celebrities get strikes and more strikes and strikes after that, no matter how many times they show us who they are. West is a far right Hitler fan. Why would anyone think his generic “sorry if stuff happened” apology is sincere?

12 Likes

He’s clearly both trying to deflect and to gin up controversy to pump his album release. He’s posted versions of a few songs that had antisemitic lyrics- but may not be the final versions.

10 Likes

The ADL certainly hasn’t been super principled lately about who gets slammed for being antisemitic and who doesn’t.

Elon Musk can literally spout Nazi propaganda about the Great Replacement Theory, but still gets praise from the ADL as long as he is explicitly anti-Palestinian. Meanwhile Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez gets demonized as an antisemite for pointing out that Jesus’ birthplace was literally getting bombed on Christmas day.

14 Likes