After 17 years, luxury hotel lifts ban for man whose pepperoni brought disaster to his room

Back in the day, when GFIs were new and expensive, some commercial facilities would install one large GFI on each incoming hot leg of the building’s power supply.

Accidentally shorting something (as here) could trip the GFI for half the building’s power, with no indication where the fault was located.

(I once blew out the power to half of a university’s student center when I plugged in a miswired stage cable in the auditorium where we were prepping a production of an experimental musical.)

4 Likes

I picture it now:

“Oh the aching futility of this man, his expiring pepperoni, much a symbol of the expiring spirit within his society. These birds…these messengers of inevitability…they strive so high to reach so low…”
Deadpan.

2 Likes

This reminds me of an Irish 12 Days of Christmas.

2 Likes

Nah… he’s white AND rich.

You can murder someone, and flee to Mexico with your mom and basically only get a slap on the wrist.

3 Likes

can’t remember the seagulls hit because my mind is in turmoil

https://play.google.com/store/music/album?id=Bzofv6uj4265y7upzkokh5qznqq&tid=song-Tg3rhrva37xr6nbheeiwqj4h6rq

1 Like

Came to the comments after reading article hoping to see Ellen Page. Well done.

1 Like

When Duran Duran went on tour in the mid-90s they stayed at a hotel they had stayed at previously, in the early 80s. The hotel manager remembered them and didn’t want to let them stay there as they had trashed the place back then…DD’s manager explained that the guys are all in their 30s and married now, they’ll be going to sleep by 10pm now, not partying all night, and they were allowed to stay there.

5 Likes

I stayed in this hotel 20 or so years ago. I recall there wasn’t air conditioning, so we opened the window to enjoy the sea breeze and nice weather. A giant seagull sat on the wide sill and stared at us for a while–obviously expecting food until he has shooed away. So, yes, I can completely see this story being true–I think they encouraged opening of windows and there were no screens.

2 Likes

[extremely long island voice]

yeah but these aren’t just someones, we’re talkin Blue Lives here buddy

check the date this was originally published on, people…

Nice. We had the university’s network shut down because someone plugged the end of an ethernet cable into an ethernet outlet. The other end was also plugged into an ethernet outlet. This set up a loop, which brought down the network.

2 Likes

So, his story isn’t current?

2 Likes

Katie DeRosa / Times Colonist

April 1, 2018 03:18 PM

1 Like

“Seaguanado” covers all of the bases. :grinning:

1 Like

YEEEeeessssss!

1 Like

The birds, losing their shit over their being a human …

I can understand their alarm, there.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.