After dangerous gas pedal fiasco, Cybertruck gets 2 more recalls (thanks, Elon!)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/25/after-dangerous-gas-pedal-fiasco-cybertruck-gets-2-more-recalls-thanks-elon.html

5 Likes

I wonder why 305 suckers didn’t bother with the trim.

9 Likes

Or at least roll those corners so they aren’t finger removing guillotines.

9 Likes

This review in The Autopian talks about some of the many, many major flaws in this vehicle, but the author still thinks it’s cool that the vehicle essentially stuck to the original concept design rather than get watered down for practical reasons such as safety. And he wrote that even after cutting his finger on the edge of the truck bed.

https://www.theautopian.com/the-tesla-cybertruck-makes-big-compromises-to-be-cool-but-it-actually-pulls-it-off/

(He got a lot of disparaging comments on the article from both Elon haters and fanbois.)

8 Likes

I’m partial to leaving it, just in case
c1f-1706175859

12 Likes

Saved by the panel gap…

8 Likes

What a stupid article. “It’s awful because they didn’t compromise and that makes it great!” seems like complete nonsense. In the Jeep XJ example, this wasn’t making the vehicle “worse” so much as intentionally designing it for a specific purpose which meant compromising in creature comforts.

The Cybertruck example just reeks running out of time, money, and fucks to give. None of the flaws pointed out in that article could be considered good for safety, usability, or utility. Yet because it looks more or less like its original concept then all those flaws can be ignored? Concept cars aren’t meant to go to production for a reason. They are meant to look cool and impractical because they are a way for car designers to flex their creativity. It’s like comparing a haute couture runway outfit to ready to wear garments. That outfit may look really cool or interesting until you realize how the model probably can’t even get into or out of it without a team of assistants.

8 Likes

“It’s the car Blade Runner would drive!”

No, dude. You got Total Recall.

13 Likes

I think it’s more “Demolition Man” with the Cybertruck playing the part of the three shells. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

I’m not putting my arse near one.

4 Likes

The fans are probably the same folk who think that Howard Roark was a hero for having a tantrum and blowing up a building.

6 Likes

11 Likes

It’s an electric car. It doesn’t have a “gas” pedal. It has an incellerator.

(Hey, I’m going to beat that joke to death.)

7 Likes

the term “gas pedal” for my attention, too. can we switch to “accelerator” ?

1 Like

Technically, the steering wheel is an accelerator too…

2 Likes

Too bad Musk can’t be recalled.

1 Like

And reeks of intentionally turning buyers into beta product testers.

1 Like

Well, that’s got to be a little annoying but, thankfully, fixable. Too bad they can’t do much about the douchebag jammed behind the wheel. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Those are the potentially affected vehicles not individuals claiming the repairs or having their adhesion promoted (which sounds like a customer loyalty programme).

1 Like

3 Likes