After eating ghost peppers, this Danish boys choir sings a Christmas carol

Yeah. Mr. Kidd has a terrible habit of deciding that it’s OK to puree superhots in the middle of winter. In the house.

Don’t do that. The acid can aerosolize.

6 Likes

Note they had a choice of peppers from mild to ‘sign this waiver’. I am guessing most of the small kids went with much milder peppers based on the behavior of mine and his friends at that age. They also had a staffed recovery area just off camera.

Personally I think a habanero is probaby the hottest thing I would try raw like that.

3 Likes

When we lived in Venezuela my mom would boil the Locoto peppers so she could process them for hot sauce. It was like macing the entire house. I can imagine using ghost peppers would be much worse.

5 Likes

I had a coworker learn that the hard way. Lucky for him it was late spring.
He did make some awesome habanero salsa though.

3 Likes

Yup, this is exactly what happens. More than once, I invented a shopping trip that Young Kidd and I simply had to do NOW just so we weren’t getting choked out by the pepper spray anymore.

6 Likes

Yes, so what? I was explicitly referring to Danish law. You shouldn’t be surprised, after all, the US has an especially strong tradition of giving people the constitutional right to engage in speech that decent people should not engage in no matter the legal situation.

The magnitude being, according to the reports, something that had them smiling again soon afterwards. Why shouldn’t they be capable of consenting to something like that? When is someone old enough to experience their first hot pepper?

Yes, this is a showing-off behaviour that boys seem to enjoy slightly more, on average, than girls. It could, thus be labeled as “masculine” behaviour, even though I think that would be overgeneralising. But why toxic? Is it just because capsaicin is a toxin?

I think it’s nice to know. After all, we’re having fun with it.
And as a scout master of a co-ed scout group I can testify that girls are not above it. Not at all. Claiming that they are is old fashioned sexist role-model crap. And by the way, for the 10-13 crowd, “girls vs boys” challenges get an extra bonus in motivation.

4 Likes

Strong libel/slander laws are typically used more to abuse the legal system into suppressing criticism and journalistic reporting. This is done a lot in countries like the UK, so i would say i’m proud that i live in a country where you can speak your mind and not be sued because of some trivial comment i might have about someone. So if i decided to tell Chili Klaus to go screw himself and that he’s a moron i am free to do so (not actual opinions i have, i like his content). Criticism is not slander or libel.

Also I would hope Chili Klaus is not a thin skinned litigious jerk :wink:

3 Likes

Oh, I believe you.

One thing that blows my mind is how no one seems to ever consider the possibility that being so insanely spicy is the ghost pepper’s natural defense mechanism so that animals won’t eat it.

9 Likes

Why do I feel like Chili Krause may be getting off on it? There’s a BSDM entry for this kind of voyerism: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dacryphilia

1 Like

People get euphoric after eating super spicy foods or peppers so I would guess there’s something there. People getting hooked on the endorphin rush

5 Likes

No it seems we are not on the same wavelength.

Because my point is: men are not stupid all around. Children are willing to take risks and can be easily led. Men and boys who engage in this sort of risk taking, even (or maybe especially) when taken to stupid, pointless extremes, are rewarded (and it seems, rewarded more the stupider the risk), while women and girls are punished.
@zathras, that’s what makes it toxic. It’s a way of delimiting what is proper masculine behavior from what is not that is highly toxic to communities. But the key thing is, it’s not the only way of defining masculinity (assuming one finds it necessary to do so).

2 Likes

I dunno. I seriously doubt any of them regretted it for more than a day. Now they have a story to tell their friends for the rest of their lives. I was in a (mixed) very formal choir at those ages, and I guarantee if the offer had been extended to us, all of the boys and at least half of the girls would have gone for it (and the girls would have gone back for another round just to show the boys who was tougher!). Kids do stupid things. In this case, the conditions set up around it seem to have been of utmost precaution and it was entirely voluntarily.

I fear that we as a group might be reading a bit too much into this. Letting kids be kids includes letting them do stuff which others might consider to be stupid, ill-advised, or immature. They’re kids, for pete’s sake, it’s what they do!

3 Likes

I suspect a large part of my problem with this is from putting myself in their place. I imagine myself as a young boy in that choir and feeling pressure to go along with it, picking the mildest kind, … and being in pain for hours. I’m extremely sensitive to spiciness and even the mildest hot sauces HURT.

2 Likes

If you think they’re experiencing discomfort now, just remember that the Ghost Pepper of Christmas Future manifests itself as a Ring of Fire.

10 Likes

2 Likes

Heh. I remember taking a good bite out of that nice-looking red pepper on my plate at a local Mexican restaurant. It just about gave me a head rush. Once I recovered, I took much smaller nibbles.

The El Yucateco habanero sauces are about the hottest sauces that I would use, but I’ve had chips and (just today) pepper-jack cheese with obviously small amounts of ghost pepper and found them delicious. The chips tend to sneak up on me, though.:hot_pepper::hot_pepper::hot_pepper:

Another thing the guys should remember: when chopping chilies, wash your hands before you take a leak as well as after.

4 Likes

Oh man that sucks.
I was never into hot till I tried some thai food at full strength. It was spicy, head sweat and eyes watering but it didn’t overwhelm the flavor of the food and burning. Also it is a go to for me when I feel a cold coming on a good spicy rad nah and my head is cleared up and I feel way better.

4 Likes

Ghost peppers are 1,000,000 heat units on the Scoville scale. That’s no where near what a kid should be trying on their “first hot pepper”. It’s a step below pepper spray.

Seriously, you’re driving trollies this thread, right?

Just google “Wil Wheaton Spicy Dick Milk” for the best story ever about that.

5 Likes

typically, voyeurism doesn’t involve participation.

1 Like