After eating ghost peppers, this Danish boys choir sings a Christmas carol

except that birds are not sensitive to capsaicin so they can freely eat peppers and spread the seeds.

5 Likes

Makes sense, I guess. Moderately spicy food just tastes better to me, having grown up in a household where a distinctly bland palette was dominant.

I should have clarified; birds & bees spread seeds, and that’s how plants procreate, obvs. I meant that it was a defense mechanism against mammals, like us…

:wink:

4 Likes

1 Like

smart

4 Likes

Holy Ghost Peppers!

he’s not, but @Rusty_Blazenhoff is with that headline. But also, the OP is only a few paragraphs, give it a read.

Those kids were not eating ghost peppers. Maybe the young-adults in the back were, but in every case the strength was self-selected. those kids that are laughing at everyone took the mild choice, it seems.

3 Likes

I was going off the YouTube description with the headline. No trolling intended.

This is what it reads:

“This awesome Boys Choir mixes Ghost peppers with “Oh Come, All Ye Faithful” (and English Christmas Carol)”

I did the best I could to explain what kind of peppers they really were with limited insight.

3 Likes

Denmark is a country where the government requires parents to pick their child’s name from a pre-approved list to protects the child from being teased. I don’t expect the state would turn a blind eye to hot-pepper child-hazing.

1 Like

I was going to suggest that it might burn twice. Like mitmita.

I’ve taken to using disposable gloves. When chopping chilies, I mean.

1 Like

We have a Rocoto plant on its third year and we’ve harvested thousands of peppers. It is very hot and very delicious. We had to treat it for ants this year but it’s still going strong.

1 Like

Sheesh, I used to order milk with Tex-Mex, just to cut the heat. This bordered on blasphemy, seeing how I lived in Austin. But when I was 24 or so, a co-worker from Bangalore brought in some chicken to share with us at lunch. It was hotter than anything I’d eaten… but it was delicious. (The co-worker told us that her husband would’ve complained that the chicken was too bland.) Not long after that, I met my wife, who’s from Ethiopia. Since then I’ve been on a fairly bland-free diet.

But the hottest thing I’ve eaten was Korean soup; I don’t remember what it was called. Good but I could barely finish it.

2 Likes

Nice! Where in the country do you live? Being in Texas i’m kind of unsure how the plant would do in the heat. My previous plant grew quite vigorously and it seemed like it outgrew its pot really quickly, i really wanted to plant it outside but i was hesitant about it because i didn’t want to kill it with the summer heat. I was very disappointed in myself when it died so i’m giving it another whirl with the last of the seeds that i have saved.

2 Likes

One of the spiciest things i’ve had was a sweet and sour soup at an excellent Chinese restaurant when i lived in Colorado. It was unbearably spicy but so delicious i would force myself to eat half, then eat the second half later on in the day. Though by far the hottest thing i had was completely by accident (was here in Austin coincidentally), i had ordered some tacos at a random location i had never been to, it was this hole in the wall stall and it was next to a school i was going to do a presentation for work. I asked for whatever hottest sauce they have and typically all the food trucks i’ve been to have the same hot sauces and i think they all source them from the same place. So i thought thats what i was going to get and what i got must’ve been some ghost pepper sauce from hell. I had loaded the tacos with said sauce and taken a big bite and i was hit with an immediate regret. This was back when i was really hard up for money so i forced myself to eat it all and i felt horrible for the next couple of hours :frowning:

4 Likes

The heat profile of Chocolate Bhuts builds for 15-30 minutes before dissipating, so some of these kids were only beginning to hurt.

1 Like

On my first trip to Thailand, I constantly challenged owners of small restaurants to do their worst and not serve me any of that weak shit for foreigners. One memorable experience was an old lady who owned one of these establishments amusedly spoon feeding me some rice with shrimps and very hot, small green chilis sprinkled throughout as if they were peas. I spent the trip spaced out in equal parts by constant super hot food, beer and the extremely humid weather. One of the best times in my life.

4 Likes

I have witnessed at least two of my male coworkers do the dance of the fiery frankfurter after ignoring my advice to wear gloves. I was not above feeling a bit of scootin-frooty scootinfruity. (edited as @zathras has shown me the correct spelling)

6 Likes

Be proud, then. I live in a country where people are allowed to speak their mind and disagree with me without calling me an asshole and a moron and telling me to screw myself. I see the potential for abuse, but I think it’s well under control where I live. However, I wasn’t asking for US laws to change.
My logic was, if the Danes actually make it illegal, it’s probably not a nice thing for an American or anyone else to do, either. And depending on how people think about respect for other cultures, they might even want to voluntarily comply with Danish rules of civil discourse when they publicly discuss what Danes do to each other.
Criticism is not slander or libel, but calling someone an asshole is not criticism, it’s just name-calling.

Well, if you take “delimiting proper masculine behaviour” as a starting point, then I fully agree. But if you instead take a behaviour that boys are maybe slightly more likely to engage in and label it as “toxic masculinity”, then you are doing the delimiting. They’re kids being challenged to eat hot peppers, and they happen to be in a boy’s choir, so they’re all boys. They’re not being told that this is the manly thing to do. Instead, an internet forum is diagnosing their behaviour as “typically male” and as “toxic”.
Kids (boys and girls) love the occasional challenge. When a stupid idea like this comes up in my scout group, all I have to do is to not inject gender into the discussion, and it will be taken up by both boys and girls. I believe that on average, boys might indeed be slightly more prone to engaging in stupidity like this, but I’m not even sure yet, that might just be confirmation bias. In my current crop of teenagers, it’s mainly one particular 15-year-old girl who allows herself to be goaded into showing off all the time.

4 Likes

The term defamation is often used to encompass both libel and slander. … The statement(s) alleged to be defamatory must also be a false statement of fact. That which is name-calling, hyperbole, or, however characterized, cannot be proven true or false, cannot be the subject of a libel or slander claim.

This is at the root of what i’m talking about.

Also:

source

"…constitutes a criminal act under section 267 of the Danish Criminal Code…

… any person who, publicly or with the intention of wider dissemination, makes a statement or imparts other information by which a group of people are threatened, insulted or degraded on account of their race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion or sexual inclination shall be liable to a fine or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years.”

So while i wouldn’t do so i defend other people’s right for calling him an idiot for giving inordinately hot peppers to children. Once someone veers into specifics about his race, religion, etc that’s on a whole other level that should be stopped.

1 Like

Sent to my Polish friend.

Europeans poking fun and laughing at other Europeans is a continental pastime it seems.

2 Likes