After ICE raid, children left homeless and without food

It’s not, see comments above.

1 Like

broadchurch-angry-as-me

And I’ve found him!

We’re having similar issues here in GA (on top of the recent hurricane recovery dragging out much longer than it should have), as @snigs notes below, er above (Jinx). Ironically, it’s the rural, southern parts of GA (well, the white voters, anyway, who are still primarily the landholders) where much of the agricultural producers is who voted for hardliners on immigration, on the state and national level. I hope they are happy with their choices.

I have no doubt we’re going to start seeing the price of our food go up if both this and the tariffs continue.

13 Likes

hmmm…could this raid be retaliation?

13 Likes

I mean, I don’t think Trump knows how to do anything right, but certainly Trump’s personality is set to punish enemies and make exceptions for friends. Fascism looks a lot like applied narcissism.

14 Likes

Maryland lost crab pickers too:

“This is going to cause the price of crab meat to go out of sight,” said Harry Phillips, owner of Russell Hall Seafood on Hoopers Island. "There’s not going to be hardly any Maryland crab meat.

“It looks like it’s a matter of time before they’re going to shut all of us down.”

Those pickers had children too. Luckily they were not split up. Or maybe they were?

9 Likes

It may be a bad idea for these temporary caretakers to bring the kids to a detention center run by the government.

After all, ice has proven definitely that they can’t and are unwilling to take care of children in safe and hygienic conditions.

The most responsible thing here may be to refuse to hand these poor kids over to ice until they can be given directly back to their parents.

I know if I were in this situation I’d feel that my kids were safer with a neighbor than some trump admin thugs (likely as not white supremacists who honestly do think hitler was a hero) who are comfortable making kids sleep on cold pavement in a space blanket with no washroom facilities and personal hygene care.

15 Likes

Next step is to have the government come in to police illegal adoptions. I can just imagine agents of some agency or other explaining to people that they have no right to care for these children.

10 Likes

They’re working that from another angle:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-30/trump-sued-over-plan-to-let-adoption-agencies-reject-gay-couples

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/17/politics/kiviti-child-us-passport/index.html

11 Likes

Were the offices of the company owners raided?

4 Likes

I would be surprised if they did. And I’ll eat my hat if they did and it leads to jailtime for anyone besides migrant workers.

6 Likes

Ugh, everything terrible that happens, there’s always some more context to make it even worse.

4 Likes

Too little heart to be found there. Your tears just make them grin.

The ultimate irony would be if Trump were to die of an enlarged heart. But it’s an irony I would welcome, the sooner the better.

3 Likes

The program linked here includes the story of the raid on a meatpacking plant in Tennessee (in a town near where I live), and what happened with the families of the arrested workers.

5 Likes

This is terrorism. There is no other word. This is deliberate, calculated sadism used to scare people into giving up. This is unholy and everyone connected in any way to making and enforcing the decision to do this should be impeached, branded, removed from office, fired, tried on charges of inhuman cruelty, excommunicated, and exiled to Siberia.

11 Likes

3 Likes

some of the people arrested in those factories were kids as young as 14, there is no way, in hell, the employeers aren’t 100% aware of what they are doing and suffer zero consequences for doing it

start putting these millionares and billionares in prison

4 Likes

Have they never heard of guilt by association? Or maybe they are proud to ride a namesake’s reputation.

2 Likes

These assholes won’t be any more welcome in Irkutsk, but they may find themselves on the opposite side of Karma’s wheel.

2 Likes

Yes. Yes we are.

It really does seem to be. This what makes it really, really fucked up. And not just in retaliation for the lost lawsuits, but union-busting, and to generally create an atmosphere of fear that allows them to better exploit workers in the future, since they won’t organize or complain. This seems a plausible explanation because they’ve done it before:

In June of 2018, ICE raided a unionized Fresh Mark meatpacking plant in Salem, Ohio; arresting 140 workers.

A week before the raid on a Fresh Mark’s Salem facility, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) fined Fresh Mark $211,194 for three separate incidents in which proper guards for dangerous machinery were not in place. OSHA found that the lack of safety guards resulted in the death of an undocumented worker.

… workers complaining about working conditions in plants lead to raids …[at] Southeastern Provision in Morristown, Tennesse. The raid came after federal authorities were tipped off by a local bank that the owner of the plant may have been paying undocumented workers under the table.

7 Likes