ICE arrests 680 workers at Mississippi food processing plants

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/07/ice-arrests-680-workers-at-mis.html

1 Like

Would it not make sense to raid the headquarters of the companies that illegally hire these workers, and throw the higher-ups in the HR department into jail?

69 Likes

But, those people might be white!/s

34 Likes

At least the companies where they were working will get hit with huge fines, right? No? Oh.

It will be interesting to see the repercussions of losing that amount of people from the workforce. I’ll bet plenty of white folk angry at the immigrants “stealing their jobs” will happily step in and keep the food processing plants… processing.

Annnny minute now.

45 Likes

When will they arrest the owners of the food processing plant?

22 Likes

When monkeys take flight from the rectums of all the politicians in DC?

15 Likes

And yet the companies that hired these workers will never face punishment, nor will the managers and executives who knowingly and willfully committed felonies to hire them.

19 Likes

Sadly, temp agency will fill the plate with workers they have full faith are American citizens and not fake invaders. Hopefully ICE visits certain golf/hotels shortly.

4 Likes

You may be right. As for this:

They won’t bite the hand that feeds them.

12 Likes

This experiment has been done, but I do not expect the trumpkins to learn from it.

28 Likes

Ironically, ICE was instituted through the Obama Administration. Point of reference not to be mentioned/referred to by you know who.

These people were working, not running around with MS13 or sitting on their collective asses hating people.

The inhumanity is sickening.

18 Likes

I’m still in agreement that no jobs are “stolen.” They are given by the job “creators” to other countries where people will work longer for less pay, or phased out through automation. It’s a lie.

Our Presidents have been leaving wonderful/horrible gifts for the following Presidents for a long, long time now. A lot of unpleasantness happened under Obama that should have been derailed before the country was left in Trump’s wee hands. It wasn’t, and here we are.

21 Likes

At least it wasn’t a mass shooting.

3 Likes

There’s this:
https://www.tnimmigrant.org/73119statement-owner-of-east-tennessee-meat-processing-plant-sentenced-to-18-months-in-federal-prison-3-years-probation

But the jail sentence (and some fines) appear to the result of infringements other than employing ‘undocumented’ workers.

3 Likes

“Fun” bit of reading about Koch.

A throwaway line in a fluff-piece article… “Koch’s Fairfield, Ohio, plant was raided by U.S. immigration agents in 2007; 161 people living in the country illegally were arrested. According to Ohio news reports, Koch paid a $536,046 fine for violating immigration laws in February 2010.”

and…

AND…

12 Likes

Meanwhile , the Koch brothers get away scott-free. Hell, they’ll probably find a way to use this as a tax deduction.

7 Likes

First post, currently live in Mississippi. It’s sickening. What are solid actions to help? Plan to print/distribute flyers of ACLU Immigrant Bill of Rights, call everyone I know who cares.

It’s Wednesday aka church night in the Bible Belt…so many verses about caring and loving our immigrant neighbors. Not so many on terrorizing newcomers to our land seeking any chance at a better life.

Thanks in advance for your help.

18 Likes

My guess is that this may impact the Koch businesses enough that they may instruct their minions to make sure this doesn’t happen again.

How many tons of rotting chicken do you think are in that warehouse?

4 Likes

I think I read somewhere that they weren’t pleased with Trump. Maybe that’s why they were on the list. But…

can make for a really nice deduction. They are not losing anything. Per usual, the poor are the only losers in this pissing match.

2 Likes