After Nike hires Colin Kaepernick for ad campaign, conservative halfwits destroy own property to own the libs

You lose a lot of credibility conflating standing for the national anthem and objecting to someone else kneeling for the national anthem. No one is being called racist for standing for the anthem. If someone was somehow preventing veterans from standing for the anthem and/or flag, yeah, criticism would be understandable. But no one is doing that.

I stand corrected. You still don’t get to dictate what I do during the anthem.

15 Likes

How about we start with “don’t accuse people of doing something they did not do”.

I have nothing to discuss with you, so by all means debate a wall

9 Likes

The person under discussion in this topic is Kaepernick. A football player. At a football game. Who was kneeling to show his opposition to police racism (which, anticipating your next bad-faith accusation, doesn’t indicate to anyone else here that everyone else in the stadium with Kaepernick who stood for the anthem was racist).

Your argument here is about as convincing as this guy’s was:

16 Likes

6 Likes

That explains some of the disconnect. I though the article and conversation was primarily about the motivations and actions of people protesting his actions. I assumed that was what all the name calling at the beginning of the post, and the analysis of whether people who oppose his protest are able to think rationally was. But you are also absolutely right that it was incorrect to imply that anyone is claiming that people who stand are doing it because of racism. That was not said, and I was wrong on that. I should have said that people who stand, and are offended by those who do not, are not necessarily motivated by racism.
I am pretty offended by the guy sitting on the flag. I hope I would not be more or less offended if he were another race. Either way, I would have spoken to him about it.

There’s your problem, right there.

By the way, the topic; COLIN KAEPERNICK’S Nike ad and subsequent boycott by some people, is clearly stated in the freakin’ headline of the post.

That some people here are judging the folks who choose to ‘boycott’ by destroying Nike products which they already own is beside the point about why this ad has some people so upset.

10 Likes

You can’t very well have a conversation about these sneaker-burning (and flag-sitting) dimwits* without discussing what offends them: Kaepernick’s actions. There is no disconnect for most of us here because without the latter we wouldn’t be discussing the former.

[* I have no problem calling them this for both the ways they’re protesting Kaepernick and their inability – willful or not – to puzzle out why Kaepernick was protesting in this manner and why kneeling during the anthem is perfectly consistent with this country’s highest ideals]

I would think, and I suspect most here would agree, that the vast majority people who stand during the anthem are not motivated by racism. Nor are they standing in counter-protest to Kaepernick. Most are standing to honour the country and its ideals, as they did for decades before Bush-era conservatives turned the pre-game anthem into a festival of militarism.

There are better ways and better times to honour veterans and active service members. On the other hand, a widely televised pro football game in a league where there are a disproportionate number of African-American players, many of whom come from the same economic and social backgrounds as the black Americans getting shot by the authorities in this country, is a very appropriate place for those players to stage a peaceful BLM protest and bring attention to the issue.

14 Likes

Unless something has changed, the announcer also says “please rise for our national anthem”. It’s polite to honor that request, but one certainly isn’t required to. And the whole point of a protest is to be impolite. A protest innocuous and polite enough not to get in someone’s way is not a terribly effective or visible protest.

11 Likes
6 Likes

Thanks, haven’t read it yet, but, “big gamble”?

Surely Nike is way big enough to absorb whatever financial fallout might come their way from this ad campaign.

8 Likes

It basically states that Nike is an amoral corporation whose only purpose is to make money; this isn’t about them doing the right thing. It’s Nike banking on the idea that there are more consumers “on the right side of history” than there are consumers who are on the wrong side.

12 Likes

Yep. And they won:

12 Likes

Meanwhile in the right wing alt-universe they lost.

4 Likes

Aaaand not a thing written about the stocks. Just some opinion and veiled threats. It’s important to note that Adidas and Puma took a tumble at the same period.

8 Likes
11 Likes

The psychotic Nike burners are doing what they point fingers at Blacks for doing when they protest. These actions by the Deplorables goes to show it is not about race as they covertly proclaimed time and time again since they’re burning their only pair of shoes or clothing from the local big box discount stores. Makes you wonder are they really that racist and ignorant by burning their Sunday best clothing? Hmmm!??

what-mean

10 Likes

20 Likes
8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.