After outcry over blocking links to Mastodon, Twitter announces ban on "promotion" of other social platforms

And if you vote at all, you help validate the platform by even participating.

This isn’t in relation to a social contract with actual places and things in play, it’s a social network. An artificial construct built primarily to generate ad revenue.

6 Likes

13 Likes

And now he’s scrubbing the evidence that he ever tried to block links to those other sites:
Twitter Scrubs Its Plan to Nix Promos for Other Sites From Web

ol musky’s insane outbursts are coming in short enough intervals now that he’s about to give birth to a full fledged breakdown.

10 Likes

Oh really?

:smiling_imp:

(I chose the song more or less at random, since my main knowledge of the band is when they played as opening act for DethKlok’s tour many, many years ago. Yes, I went, and it was fun.) I do wonder if the band, and/or any business or organization with Mastodon in their name, has gotten caught up in this mess, because Muskrat cares far more about making grand, sweeping, stupid gestures than any kind of accuracy in procedures.

8 Likes

Willing to bet its not that they can’t find anyone to escalate, there’s just so much to escalate that they have cartoonishly large piles of paper in their inboxes.

6 Likes

Anyone told Elon about Linktree? Just Google to look up an entity to find all their handles. Not just Only Fans.

2 Likes

Just like that, the policy is now gone as if it never existed in the first place.

If you try to go to the support page for the “new” rule you get a 404

8 Likes

So I guess their legal department has been replaced with a polling department.

9 Likes

As someone said somewhere else - “It’s Calvinball in there!”

14 Likes

That’s not fair.

Calvinball has rules.

14 Likes

Both Calvin and Hobbes have more maturity than Elon, and neither is mean.

9 Likes

One of the reasons Twitter exists is for “promotion.”

Is he clueless, or is he just making excuses for what he knows are bad moves?

11 Likes

Both.

10 Likes

Linktree was explicitly prohibited.

That’s not Legal, that’s what’s left of Trust & Safety. It really speaks to their expertise when they ask broad questions of people outside their field regarding how to do the job.

7 Likes

Twitter cannot block Googling someone’s Twitter handle so as to look up what other social media handles are listed on the same Linktree. “Where can I follow Fred if Fred is no longer in Twitter?”

I’ve set up an instance for teachers at Teachers.Quest I use it like twitter, except you need to be more engaged, there’s no algorithm driving content to you, you’re in control. All educators are welcome to join!

3 Likes

3 Likes

Feel free to post that to the thread I linked to. I’m sure the educators here will find it welcome!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.