After poacher crackdown, Tanzanian endangered rhino and elephant populations are staging inspiring recoveries

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/11/elephino.html

6 Likes

This is good news, lets hope Tanzania can keep up the security in the long term.

8 Likes

Still…

3 Likes

The Rhino is my spirit animal, it said so in my last fortune cookie.

4 Likes

I visited some of the ranger stations in the Serengeti, and they are super hardcore about stopping poaching. The rangers carry multiple guns, including AK-47s, and deal with poachers every day who are just as armed.

I was lucky enough to see one of the few remaining black rhinos, as well.
rhino2

14 Likes

On the down side, we’re going to hear fewer satisfying news stories about poachers being trampled, gored, or otherwise horribly killed and maimed by their prey.

3 Likes

Now, that’s not very nice.

I think “… gentlemen being trampled, gored, or otherwise horribly killed and maimed by their prey.” would be more acceptable.

3 Likes

the administration of resident John Magufuli

@doctorow While Mr Magufuli is indeed a resident of Tanzania, it seems relevant to note that he is also the President of Tanzania.

5 Likes

Would it be unsporting to try to start the rumor that poacher teeth and bones are a crazy-powerful aphrodisiac and general cure for what ails you?

4 Likes

Cue the American dentist hunters.

2 Likes

… and idiot sons.

1 Like

Trophy-Hunting Dentists for their teeth sounds kinda right…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.