An elephant killed a rhino poacher and then lions ate him

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/08/an-elephant-killed-a-rhino-poa.html

9 Likes

I get the schadenfreude and the sense of poetic justice; but, unless the poacher was some Dentist from Des Moines on an illegal Safari Holiday, I always tend to think, “There’s some poor family that has lost its breadwinner.”

10 Likes

sometimes the third world call it re-cycling

2 Likes

I think you mean pants winner.

What about his shirt and shoes? How the heck would lions just leave empty pants?

What brand pants? What style and color? Come on, journalism 101.

2 Likes

Cooperation is the way of the future.

7 Likes

Weegee, the famous New York photographer claimed that, when taking photos of crime scenes, people liked to see the victim’s hat. If the victim’s hat was out of frame, Weegee would kick it closer to the corpse. If the victim had no hat, Weegee wasn’t above chucking his own hat in to the shot. Now that’s journalism! :smiley:

12 Likes

Weegee! I saw a huge exhibit of his in LA.

I wonder if he would have kicked the skull closer to the pants or kicked the pants closer to the skull. Vegas probably has odds on that. Or 535. Posthumous Weegee odds.

It’s time for a bumper sticker: What would Weegee do?
With a small hat icon. Let’s drum up millennial interest in Weegee like what happened to Bob Ross.

4 Likes

They ate him again?

3 Likes

Yeah, this wasn’t the guy getting rich off the ivory trade.

3 Likes

Maybe it was this guy:

Still wandering around Africa after the Battle of Naboo final act of Infinity War.

2 Likes

I’m really not that sympathetic to this argument. Not when we’re talking about species on the verge of extinction. Stealing money or literal bread I might forgive more than trying to kill rhinos to buy bread. There’s always more money and bread. There won’t always be more black rhinos. I feel sorry for his family sure, but I’m sure there’s a lot of poor families there who respect those animals and would never resort to that. Are there larger social and economic issues here that could help mitigate this, of course.

16 Likes

I always tend to think, “There’s some poor family that has lost its breadwinner.”

Breadwinner? Really?

4 Likes

9 Likes

killed by an elephant and then eaten by lions

this should be the standard for justice

4 Likes

As usual, the flies and ants get no credit.

16 Likes

but hulk refused to come out - grrr I’m so mad now.

1 Like

Normally elephants and rhinos don’t get along real well in the wild. So for an elephant to intervene on behalf of a rhino (OK, even if inadvertently) is pretty cool.

1 Like

I can’t imagine that poaching rhinos is among the first fifty or so possible options for someone to make money to feed their family. Anyone doing this stuff is not doing it to feed their starving folks.

2 Likes

I’ll believe lions ate him, but I don’t buy an elephant killed him. I’m going to go with either an extrajudicial killing by rangers, or a disagreement with his fellow poachers.

4 Likes

And nothing of value was lost.

1 Like