After raising negative contributions, scandal-riddled George Santos is asking for your credit card details

Originally published at: After raising negative contributions, scandal-riddled George Santos is asking for your credit card details | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

18 Likes

The sad thing is, someone will actually respond to this appeal, probably someone who’s given money to him in the past. Grifters just have to find one big pig to butcher.

15 Likes

I feel like this guy is jealous that he doesn’t have as many criminal charges as 45. :face_with_monocle:

17 Likes
5 Likes

At this point, what kind of sucker would you have to be to actually give him money? He’s clearly trying to appeal to the MAGA crowd, which hugely increases his odds of success, but still…

7 Likes

Fraud is terrible, but it’s hard to feel much sympathy for anyone who’d give their credit card details to a man already under indictment for credit card fraud.

4 Likes

It’s likely that many of the people who donated to Santos didn’t even realize who they were giving money to. At least one of his fundraising efforts involved him hiring a guy to pretend to be a top aide to Kevin McCarthy.

7 Likes

How does one get a campaign contribution refunded? I am surprised that such a transaction can or does occur.

6 Likes

He should see if Wells Fargo might sponsor him. They seem to have a similar M.O.

5 Likes

If it’s on a credit card? Easy. Chargeback. Businesses tend to hate chargebacks, because the business not only loses the money from the charge, but they also get bludgeoned with a chargeback fee and they don’t get refunded the original processing charges. And if there’s too many chargebacks, the processing company will essentially fire the business as a customer.

Debit cards are slightly harder, and involve opening a fraud case with the card issuer to claw the money back, IIRC.
(My knowledge of the system is massively outdated, but that was the process as I understood it back in the mid-90s working for a financial institution.)

5 Likes

And?

1 Like

I think the point is that Santos’ victims are still deserving of sympathy, because they didn’t know they were giving their credit card info directly to him.

That said, we’ve long ago reached the point where any non-millionaire who donates to any GOP candidate is effectively being scammed.

3 Likes

They thought they were giving money to Kevin McCarthy. That doesn’t deserve any kind of sympathy.

3 Likes

Tell me why this piece of crap not in jail yet???

3 Likes

He’s not had his day in court yet?

4 Likes

:musical_note: In the meantime, in-between time…

7 Likes

Citizen’s United and other anti-campaign-finance-reform efforts create the conditions for low-effort grifters to flourish. A dark, accelerationist goblin in me wants congress to fill up with these blatant clowns, but the better part of me knows that MTG, Boebert and Santos have done enough damage already, and haven’t even sparked a conversation about reform.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.