After watching this trailer for Tetris, I'm excited to watch the movie

Originally published at: After watching this trailer for Tetris, I'm excited to watch the movie | Boing Boing

4 Likes

I’m not gonna get on any new streaming services, and I’ve never liked the game, but that is a goddamn amazing trailer.

10 Likes

Good to see they’re doing the smart thing and making a movie about the development of Tetris, rather than trying to come up with some random plot to exploit the IP. See Battleship for an example of how not to do it.

21 Likes

Or the CollegeHumor parody that sticks way too close to Minesweeper.

12 Likes
11 Likes
9 Likes

Oh.

Was fully expecting a Hollywood animated version where geometric shapes are anthropomorphized with faces and personalities and everything.

10 Likes

Aye, the story’s been told. It’s not that exciting, really.

Or at least, most of it isn’t. But the exciting parts have been told too.

5 Likes

For folks wanting a more documentary approach to the history of Tetris, The Gaming Historian released a great 1hr video.

Update: Thanks @ghostbloke for pointing out the bad auto-complete.

10 Likes

Gaming Historian does good work (loved the one on the creation of the ESRB), but autocomplete has it out for you.

7 Likes

I had a Tetris manga from the mid-90s, I hope it renews interest in a potential anime adaptation

2 Likes

Beat me to it!

3 Likes

Tetris caused the West to lose more productive man hours than any virus or sabotage by the USSR could have achieved.

8 Likes

After causing the Soviet scientific community to lose more productive man hours than any virus or sabotage by the West could have achieved.

Pajitnov had completed the first playable version of Tetris by June 6, 1984.[21] Pajitnov presented Tetris to his colleagues, who quickly became addicted to it.[15]: 87 It permeated the offices within the Academy of Sciences, and within a few weeks it reached every Moscow institute with a computer.[15]: 87 [22]: 9 min A friend of Pajitnov, Vladimir Pokhilko, who requested the game for the Moscow Medical Institute, saw people stop working to play Tetris . Pokhilko eventually banned the game from the Medical Institute to restore productivity.[15]: 87

6 Likes

I was not expecting that. What a great trailer. Combining truth with exaggeration, turning the whole story into a 1980’s spy thriller, complete with great period music. Sweet.

5 Likes

looking forward to this. he’s not lying when he says he saw blocks falling in his sleep and when he just closed his eyes. when it came out when i was in college, i sure did. and i had a friend who lost an entire semester to tetris. that game was indeed perfect and perfectly addictive. i have a version of it on my iphone right now, in fact.

5 Likes

When I saw Tetris movie, I thought of Battleship. :scream:

But I don’t see any aliens, probably.

2 Likes

Eh, if I’m honest I was probably going to waste that time anyway.

4 Likes

Why on earth would one use The Final Countdown instead of the actual Tetris music for this trailer. And I say this as one who saw Europe in concert (in '89).

2 Likes

The teaser switches back and forth with “Korobeiniki”. Listen for it at 1:26 - 1:40, 1:51 - 2:06.

3 Likes