REVIEW: "Tetris" hits an Iron Curtain-sized wall

Originally published at: REVIEW: "Tetris" hits an Iron Curtain-sized wall | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Greek :face_with_monocle:

20 Likes

The BB Comments continue to delight me.

12 Likes

12 Likes

Haven’t seen the movie, but I did enjoy the Gaming Historian’s video essay from a few years back: The Story of Tetris | Gaming Historian - YouTube

Worth taking a look.

5 Likes

I have to say Apple+ is one of the weakest streaming services for original content. I have 3 months free from a new iPad.

I like For All Mankind and Shrinking, but I wouldn’t pay for the service.

4 Likes

Severance is back soon

7 Likes

I wish that Hello Tomorrow was good as well

2 Likes

You should watch Wolfwalkers…

2 Likes

I find a pretty steady stream of good stuff on Apple TV+, and at $7/month is one of the cheaper ones. They don’t have a LOT of content, but I think what they have is pretty strong.

3 Likes

Also, the best Tetris-derived video ever will always be this: Complete History Of The Soviet Union, Arranged To The Melody Of Tetris - YouTube

4 Likes

Tetris drove me nuts. I’d play for hours on end and watch others do so as well and then I couldn’t see straight or think straight. My dreams became filled with stacking the blocks and shapes. I quit playing soon after I noticed it was making me uncomfortable.

8 Likes

Tetris used to be my mobile game of choice, right up until phones stopped having physical buttons. The game just doesn’t play right on a touch screen. I picked up solitaire instead.

2 Likes

Like Rob said, Severance. It’s an amazing show. And of course Ted Lasso!

I’ve gone to a new model of using streaming. I open the account for a month (there was a 3 months free deal for Apple TV last year and I took advantage of it), binge everything I want to watch, then cancel again for a year. That way I’m not subscribing to too many streamers at once.

6 Likes

I heard this was a very troubled production. Apparently whenever an actor successfully completed a line, they disappeared.

23 Likes

In 1980s Britain there were two media moguls whose initials were R.M. Robert Maxwell was the other one.

3 Likes

They should have went with the Penny Arcade concept:

4 Likes

the game at the center, which is quite famously only played alone

Not strictly true. On the Gameboy at least there was a PvP mode. I seem to recall needing a cable for it.

4 Likes

Wow. We knew it was gonna be dramatized, but I guess I was assuming it would still be one of the multiple versions of the history of that game that might be mostly true. The way they’ve positioned Nintendo as the ultimate saviour of the game, rescuing it from from communism or whatever, is beyond ridiculous. The game was brought to America and ported to dozens of computers when Nintendo was still just making playing cards. I get that most people know this game from the Gameboy, but it was old news in gaming by then.

There’s a lot of debate about who screwed who and whether Pajitnov was a hapless victim or a manipulative dick, but the basic details of how the licensing happened to various companies is well documented. It ain’t this. Wow. Just wow.

6 Likes

The Penny Arcade version was really heavy on the transphobia themes though, and when challenged by the studio, they insisted on keeping them in the script and doubled down over and over.

Please don’t post content from those bigoted dicks here.

7 Likes