Age differences in Disney couples

Yeah, but Norse gods don’t exactly emotionally mature over time. Thor is probably basically 18.

Well, unfortunately quite a few state legislatures do. But, yes, I hope around here we’re all on board that romance between 16- and 18-year-olds falls within the normal range of teenage behaviour and shouldn’t be criminal (in Canada 16-year-olds have a 5-year close-in-age exemption).

Edit to correct: I don’t know how I phrased that so wildly wrongly. In Canada 16 is the age of consent and there is a 5-year close-in-age exemption if you are 14 or 15 (and under 14 is right out).

I think that’s unclear. I believe the ship was capable of building new robots, so EVE might have been built any time from pre-downfall to the last few years. But I agree there’s no reason to suspect EVE is brand-new, just highly polished.

6 Likes

@Grey_Devil @Rita_Lynn Dig it: https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/f3pk57/oc_the_surprising_age_gaps_of_disney_couples/

5 Likes

Disney Is An American Company, So It Is At Least Worth Considering The American Laws In This Instance. Not That This Is Really Worth Spending Much Time Contemplating.

It Is Fun To Talk Like A Robot, Isn’t It?

6 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

New here, huh?

2 Likes

Meanwhile, back in the U.S…

1 Like

What does that have to do with fictional Disney characters?

2 Likes

Zoologically speaking, “puma” is another name for cougar.

6 Likes

Not in the Disney version; her husband-to-be was already old enough to be grossed out by girls at the time of Aurora’s Christening and she’d already fallen in love with him before the sleeping curse took hold. The whole kingdom was only unconscious for about the duration of a weekend bender.

4 Likes

I count 3 that are explicitly set in the US/Colonies and 3 more that are clearly set in or after the 19th century. In all those movies the younger of the couple is at least 18.

3 Likes

I think the discussion in this thread has misrepresented age of consent in the U.S. as simply being 18. The truth is much more complicated.

11 Likes

the whole half your age plus seven only applies to fleshlings.

3 Likes

Agreed. It’s all about power differential, right? So with robots, it shouldn’t be about age but various computational metrics, like gigaflops. If anything, it’s WALL-E who is vulnerable to exploitation by EVE.

5 Likes

Bambi and thumper did not make the list, and I cry foul!

3 Likes

They are a cute couple.

20 Likes

Quill’s Mom and Dad (Ego) have a pretty huge gap, Celestials are supposed to be several million years old.

3 Likes

thanks there goes my afternoon.

2 Likes

Agreed! That relationship was messed up on many, many levels.

8 Likes

Wasn’t Pocahontas really around 12 during the actual events of Pocahontas?

10 Likes

Half of these seem to be off-the-cuff guesses or contrived retcons.

Also, nobody ever talks about these guys anymore:

516H1KY11FL.SX347_BO1,204,203,200

… which is a shame, 'cause there’s quite a lot to unpack there. :slight_smile:

7 Likes