Age differences in Disney couples

Maybe, her exact birthdate is unknown but the article i was looking at earlier estimated her age to be between 9-10:

According to Mattaponi oral history, little Matoaka was possibly about 10 years old when John Smith and English colonists arrived in Tsenacomoca in the spring of 1607. John Smith was about 27 years old. They were never married nor involved.

7 Likes

There is! A Joss Whedon story featuring the voices of Marty McFly, Spock, Father Guido Sarducci, Jackie Chiles and Ernest P. Worrell? Underrated!

3 Likes

19 Likes

I can’t help but argue against that Pocahontas and John Smith one, in part because they were real people, and secondly because the ages (and situations) are fudged DRASTICALLY to make it more palatable. IRL, after being kidnapped and held hostage for 3 years, she was married to John Rolfe at age 16 (he was 28 or 29), bearing his child 9 months later. When she met John Smith she was close to 11 and he was 27.

7 Likes

I think that the Pocahontas movie in general is fucked up because nothing about it was a happy story. She and her people suffered immensely, telling a feel good story about Pocahontas and some white guy is beyond insensitive.

12 Likes

Yeah! It whitewashes and romanticizes an historical event that is part of a centuries-long campaign of genocide against the indigenous peoples of North America. It’s misinformation.

10 Likes

17 Likes

That does happen though. It tends to happen when the girlfriend is white, and the boyfriend is black, and the parents are from Ohio.

7 Likes

Star Wars: A New Hope:
Luke - 18, Leia - 18. Born on the same day. Age not the biggest issue, though.

17 Likes

And under-aged marriages do not exist in the US right?

2 Likes

I have to say the Disney age differences is much better than what we see in standard Hollywood fare.

5 Likes

All I did was count the number of people on the list under 18 to show why @beschizza claimed there was a lot of statutory rape. I have no idea how marriage can allow one to avoid accusations of statutory in the US or elsewhere. You’re on your own on that one.

8 Likes

Legal but still career-endingly creepy if you’re not yourself a teen.

6 Likes

Yeah. Adding Dennis Quaid and his new fiancée would break the chart.

1 Like

true, but that is real life. I was specifically meaning Hollywood movies.

1 Like

so… where did these numbers come from? you know since the ages aren’t mentioned anywhere in the stories?

1 Like

The only source cited by name in the chart is this unsourced article (if it can be classified as an “article”) on an Australian radio station website, so I would take any ages that weren’t explicitly stated in the films themselves with a grain of salt. Especially when some of the information in the article is objectively wrong, like

Tiana, who was the first African Disney Princess, was 19 years old.

No, she wasn’t an “African Disney Princess.” She was an African-American Disney Princess who was born and raised in Louisiana. An example of an ACTUAL African Disney Princess would be Shiri from Black Panther.

Remember, kids: just because someone cites a source for their chart doesn’t make the chart credible.

Edit to add: A lot of these ages don’t even pass the sniff test. For example, the author claims that Gamora is supposed to be 9 years younger than Peter Quill but in reality Zoe Saldana is actually a year older than Chris Pratt. And the age difference between Robert Downey Jr. and Pepper Potts is three years more than the age difference shown on the chart.

6 Likes

When your odds of dying around 30 were good, getting married before 16 made sense.

3 Likes

Sure, they were born on the same day, but in saying that they’re both 18 aren’t you making assumptions here that Tatooine and Alderaan orbit their stars at the same frequency?

9 Likes