Age differences in Disney couples

I’ve never thought of that. How would an interplanetary culture measure ages?

4 Likes

I am surprised that the chart did not include Anakin Skywalker and Padme Amidala. We actually knew what their ages were.

6 Likes

According to Wookiepedia Han Solo was born 32 BBY (Before the Battle of Yavin) and Leia was born 19 BBY. So that’s a 13 year gap.

I like this entry for 4 ABY (After the Battle of Yavin) in the timeline: “Billions of sentient beings are conceived in direct celebration of the Battle of Endor, leading to the large generation of victory kids.”

One of those “victory kids” was Ben Solo, born in 5 ABY. Rey was born 10 years later in 15 ABY (when Ben started training with Luke.)

3 Likes

Age of consent varies through out the US as well. Almost none of these stories are set in the US. Other than Snow white… the only other questionable one would be Sleeping Beauty. Still these being Disney movies I’m pretty sure there’s zero sex and thus zero rape (statutory or not).

2 Likes

Stay classy, south carolina.

1 Like

I see you forgot Jim Rockford and Susan Ivanova from your list. For shame.

1 Like

10 Likes

I know some people are questioning the ages in the chart. I realize a lot of ages aren’t mentioned in the movies but there is a lot of supplemental material. I’d be very surprised if there is a Disney princess who does not have an official story that takes place on their birthday.

That said, the chart has Jasmine at 15. Type “How old is disney’s princess jasmine” into your search engine. It comes back with 16. Many of the other ages are correct, but there are plenty I don’t know for sure.

Also, in the case of both Flynn/Rapunzel and Anna/Kristoff the princesses are 18 when they meet their future husbands. They both take years to get engaged after that because in more recent Disney stories you don’t marry someone you just met (but you do follow voices that tell you to journey over the horizon).

7 Likes

My wife’s high school classmate is married to a WWII veteran. Wife is 37. =0

1 Like

Don’t we all? :wink:

3 Likes
2 Likes

Yes, and there was no romance with John Smith. She married John Rolfe at 17 and converted.

The whole thing with John Smith was political theater by Powhatan, by all accounts, if it even happened at all (her supposedly offering to be executed instead of Smith). It was aimed at bringing in the Europeans under his control.

2 Likes

And is buried in Gravesend, of all places, which I always felt added a particular pathos to the story.

1 Like

Yep, she died in england… or on the way, I can’t remember. Either way… I’ve never been to Gravesend, so I’ll take your word on the pathos!

3 Likes

*checks the Wikis* It seems she died on her way back to Virginia: the ship only got as far as Gravesend before she was taken ill :frowning:

2 Likes

Ah, that’s right. Not uncommon for many people. Travel back then was rough, and likely doubly so for people who had less immunity to Afro-Eur-Asian diseases.

4 Likes

In fact, the age of consent in Germany isn’t 14. It’s a lot more complicated than that. In particular it’s illegal for anyone over 21 to have sex with anyone under 16 if that person’s “lack of capacity for sexual self-determination” is exploited, and even if the other party is 16 or 17 one doesn’t get to have sex with them “by taking advantage of an exploitative situation”. Age 14 comes in because, legally, at 14 a child (Kind) becomes a youth (Jugendliche/r), and it is absolutely illegal for anybody to have sex with children.

The actual statutes are fairly convoluted because, even though their basic idea goes back to the German Empire’s criminal code of 1872, they evolved differently in the Federal Republic and the GDR, and had to be re-merged after the 1991 re-unification, trying to incorporate the legal traditions of both states. This eventually took place in 1994.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.