Alabama public television won't air Arthur episode featuring gay wedding

Montreal music videos of the era seemed to be powered by ah-seed.

So fucking petty. Or do they think that refusing to air this episode will dishearten people so much that they just give up on the whole gay rights movement? That genie’s not going back in the bottle over a cartoon aardvark, bigots.

7 Likes

I would be ok with that.

1 Like

All the objections are religious ones. I’d like my federal tax dollars back please.

6 Likes

I would listen the shit out of that band.

I’m always shocked by republicans who are against homo sexuality. What are they? Canis sexual?

(I was going to make this joke with close relatives of humans, but really I needed the second genus to be something that people would immediately recognize as a genus. It turns out that the genus of gorilla is “gorilla”, the genus of orangutan is “orangutan” and the genus of chimpanzee is “pan” which would sort of ruin this joke but might be worth remembering for future jokes about pansexuals)

6 Likes

so, out of curiosity (and to show support for the episode) i watched this Arthur episode on the PBS.org site. i’ve never seen the show, and it was even more innocuous than i expected. if you’ve seen a news story with a clip, you’ve basically seen the ENTIRETY of the content that even hints at the teacher being gay. he and his future husband walk down an aisle in a big outdoor tent, and then they cut to the reception, where the kids enjoy cake and make fun of the couple dancing. that’s it. no discussion about their teacher’s sexuality at all. he never talks to his students about it other than saying the HE was the one getting married at the beginning. the episode is so sweet and harmless, just gently showing kids that “hey, people love and marry all kinds of people,” and that’s it. there’s no religious component at all. fundies need to get a grip.

7 Likes

But that is the most threatening part! When gay marriage is not seen as something that needs great exposition and posturing, but is just another day at the office. If it is normal, then it is no longer “a thing” and just part of the fabric of society. As it should be.

10 Likes

yeah, you’re right – this is the thing they are afraid of. i take great comfort in the fact that they’ve already lost this battle, and they don’t even realize it.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.