Alabama public television won't air Arthur episode featuring gay wedding

Just like BlockBuster.

tumblr_prnq5iWtma1rhs4ze_540

14 Likes

You know, that dance wasn’t as safe as they said it was.

6 Likes

Sometimes in a suit, I see my shoelace has come untied, and I think “that’s just not worth the effort in this stylish straight jacket”.

I don’t wear suits often.

2 Likes

Not quite. In the case of blockbuster it is a single national company with local franchisees that are all supposed to be run according to the same corporate guidelines, like McDonalds.

With public television you have a bunch of independent stations that choose which public programming they want to license. That programming may include material from PBS, but it can also include programming from APT or the BBC or other sources including their own original content.

3 Likes

On their website, PBS has documents describing their corporate guidelines as well. PBS Alabama isn’t free to air anything they like. They aren’t free to let funders dictate programming. They way they edited the program doesn’t meet PBS editorial standards on inclusiveness.

If PBS Alabama went full on racist (which doesn’t seem as absurd as it did only a short time ago), you don’t think there would be any consequences from the Washington headquarters?

I’ve only been a donor for two years and it isn’t a lot of money, but this action really bothers me.

2 Likes

It’s a hetero wedding … hetero-species.

So the inter-species part of the wedding isn’t a problem in Alabama?

3 Likes

In another thread in another universe somewhere, something someone said about Alabama reminded me it’s been a while since I last watched Nina Simone do her thing. Decided to come here and share a link in case there was anyone who didn’t already know about her:

12 Likes

Well, it was a multinational company with local franchises…

3 Likes

“Have you seen the bullshit that’s going on down here? These psychos will string me up!”, McKenzie added.

You’re not wrong. It looks fine when they’re prancing around a pseudo-medieval village, but on a crowded dance floor, it’s designed to poke the eyes of the person on your left and the crotch of the person on your right. NOT SAFE!

8 Likes

Performed by men without hats, too. Clearly, they were lucky to survive.

5 Likes

Point.  

1 Like

It’s not the lack of hats. It’s the lack of protective eyewear!

6 Likes

Nice timing.

2 Likes

It only would have been better with:

Put a cork in it!

1 Like

@DukeTrout

I’m insane!

9 Likes

I thoroughly enjoyed that :smiley: :smiley:

4 Likes

That was fantastic!