Alabamians explain why they are voting for Roy Moore

True, we’re well aware of it and people have mixed feelings about it.

Since I’m a non-native I’ll refrain from expressing a strong opinion on the
matter.

1 Like

50th in Public Health. Just, ouch.

Some state’s got to be 50th, but it’d be great if it was only because 1-49 were so fantastic and #50 was just almost imperceptibly less so.

6 Likes

I guess the abortion thing kinda makes sense, I mean one thing we seem to know is how much Roy loves children. :scream:

1 Like

Getting way off-topic, but is anyone else reminded of this?

4 Likes

Damn, I totally remember that.

1 Like

Thank you. :slight_smile:
Alabamites, anyone?

1 Like

Christopher Lloyd looks so young there…

5 Likes

Fair point!

:wink:

3 Likes

@IronEdithKidd @LurkingGrue

Wikipedia sez

I’m a masshole and proud of it. Bay Stater is used a lot.

7 Likes

Oh don’t misunderstand. We should have laid waste to the South liberated all the slaves and armed them…then gone home. Nature would have taken it’s course. I just wish we had left the South to itself to rot

And that would have made things better how? The federal government should have continued with reconstruction, where legitimate strides were made in racial equality. The problem was when we pulled out and let the former plantations owners back into the halls of power. They should have all been entirely excluded from running for office of any kind for the rest of their lives, and we should have actually sent the vast majority of confederate leaders to jail. Instead, most of them received pardons and after the 1870s, were allowed to rebuild white supremacy as the Jim Crow system starting in the 1880s and 1890s. They also were able to control the narrative and push the lost cause fantasy that is generally accepted across the country.

But the truth is, white people, all over the country did not and for many DO NOT want to do the hard work of dismantling white supremacist institutions that exist all over the country.

We have real problems down here, but don’t let yourself think it’s just here. It’s not. It’s the entire fucking country that’s the problem.

14 Likes

Yup.

The Confederacy was always an idea more than a place. The North wasn’t 100% abolitionist and the South wasn’t 100% slaver. The border states were 50/50 or worse, and Copperheads were everywhere from California to Vermont.

White supremacy and the exploitation of poverty; these are the staples of the American political diet.

The South tended a bit more towards WS, the North a bit more towards EoP. But both factors are heavily present across the entire country.

7 Likes

From the Appalachians in Virginia and the Carolinas through the Ozarks of Arkansas, there were solid majorities that were virulently anti-secessionist, even supplying Union troops. A lot of these sparsely populated counties would remain solid Republican all through the long period that the South was ruled by the segregationist Democratic Party.

Unfortunately, you would not know that now with all the Confederate Battle flags being flown in the mountains. It’s forgotten history, except by historians.

7 Likes

And before the war…

6 Likes

The north financed slavery

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.