Alan Dershowitz envisions Trump as the first President serving from prison

Originally published at: Alan Dershowitz envisions Trump as the first President serving from prison | Boing Boing

8 Likes

“Serving from prison”.

“You having fries with that?”

11 Likes

Reminds me of the Discworld books again :stuck_out_tongue:

https://wiki.lspace.org/Bugarup

Government officials in Bugarup are elected by the people and then put into prison to save time.

33 Likes

Might as well incarcerate the whole cabinet. They can serve in the Big House.

12 Likes

Well yeah, I don’t think I’d have spotted the presence of comedy otherwise

14 Likes

Has there ever been an adequate explanation of what becomes of his secret service detail in the (unlikely) event that the orange glob were to spend prison time? (“There’s bound to be some white-collar prison in upstate somewhere which includes a servants’ quarters”)

13 Likes

Dershowitz belongs there with him.

23 Likes

Honestly, I never understood why political leaders don’t have a lot of their freedoms curtailed as part of the job (reduced privacy to keep them honest, etc). It’s public service not public luxury, endure some sacrifice you pampered assholes.

11 Likes

gonegonegone

5 Likes

The only sensible solution is a constitutional amendment barring anyone born on Long Island from serving as president.

3 Likes

Why the fuck isn’t Dershowitz in prison?

Thing is, that plenty of them get elected, serve their constituents, and don’t take advantage of grift and graft while in office. You only really hear about the ones that do, and so we tend to think that they represent all politicians.

17 Likes
13 Likes

Isn’t Junior on the wrong side?

9 Likes

As strange as the whole argument is, I was thrown off a bit by the second criteria Dershowitz cited for presidency: not having fought in the Civil War. This, and the claim of the constitution only having three qualifications for presidency, aren’t entirely true.

There are three qualifications given in Article II, Section 1 of the Constitution, of which Dershowitz left out “fourteen years [residency] within the United States” (which seemingly would not disqualify Trump, unless perhaps extradition or Amendment XIII could be used to accomplish this). In its place, he paraphrased Amendment XIV, Section 3, which disqualifies from any office any person who has “engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the [United States], or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof.” Although if this is used, “Congress may, by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such a disability.”

Take from this what you will, but I found it curious enough to lock it up.

12 Likes

You’re totally right, but I’d argue that the damage caused by the ones who do abuse their position can be so extreme that it warrants safeguards that affect all of them. With great power, great responsibility, etc etc.

(You’d think Cons/NeoLibs would agree considering how often they care about means-testing so a tiny fraction of people don’t abuse government services >_>)

2 Likes

I agree with that. But we have a real problem with just taking the extreme cases as how they all function, and that is only feeding our distrust of our government, which is contributing to our current troubles with the far right, who are using our distrust against us.

6 Likes

Epstein Massage Boy needs to go the fuck away.

12 Likes

So, like Wilson Fisk, then.

3 Likes

Ulysses Grant might beg to differ :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

Paint the big house white and it’s perfect.

2 Likes