Alex Jones faces daily fines for refusing to appear at court-ordered deposition, increasing $25,000 a day

Originally published at: Alex Jones faces daily fines for refusing to appear at court-ordered deposition, increasing $25,000 a day | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Fine needs more zeroes.

22 Likes

He can request reimbursement. Doesn’t mean the court will grant that request. All it’s promising to do is vacate the contempt charge if the cowardly grifter finally shows up to face his victims’ lawyers.

25 Likes

I think Alex would look great in an orange jumpsuit.

15 Likes

That’s gracious. I wouldn’t give him weekends off.

17 Likes

I’d feel sorry for all the court clerks and paralegals who’d spoil their weekend having to be in the presence of that toxic filth.

15 Likes

Hey - those pails of food in his garage may finally come in handy!

5 Likes

I like the way this fine goes up every day. $25k, 50k, 75k. I know there’s a way to write a formula for this, but I reckoned this by simple tabulation. On day 10 the fine would be $250,000 and the total amassed would be $1,200,000. Just five days later the fine would be $375,000 and the total would be $3,075,000. Another 5 days and the total is $5,325,000. Fool around and find out.

6 Likes

No hole deep enough to put this “sh!t wrapped in skin” poor excuse for a human being.

5 Likes

That’s Alex’s plan!

3 Likes

This article has a little more detail than the newstimes story and, as written, seems to clearly indicate that the fines will be reimbursed if and when he testifies. If true that negates the entire point of the fines. After all, it’s not like the court does a direct withdrawal from his bank account. Say he shows up in 5 days to do a deposition and brings a check for the fine. Does the judge just immediately return the check or what?

I really hope the article has this detail wrong.

7 Likes

Sanctions should be applied just like they have been to Russia and it’s oligarchs. Completely cut the vile bastard off from his entire wealth, and have him have to apply to the court for living expenses. It’s happened to at least one Russian in London, and he’s snivelling about the injustice.

6 Likes

Oh, no. He doesn’t get to depose on a weekend in this situation, he just gets the fines stacked for failing to make it in on Friday. Because fuck him.

4 Likes

This detail makes it effectively not even a fine. It’s not like he’s going to pay the fines daily.

2 Likes

https://talkingmyths.com/a-grain-of-rice/

A very nice folkloric summary of the situation.

2 Likes

I quickly glanced at the article and don’t see anything about a cutoff, e.g. “if you haven’t complied in 30 days than you’re in contempt and owe an accrued fine of x dollars.” Maybe it just keeps going into the hypothetical/uncollected billions?

1 Like

To hell with fines. Jail is what’s needed while he makes up his mind to testify or not.

4 Likes

Yep. With no punishment at all. And then he dies and the court voids it as moot. Or he sits, and is refunded the billions. But ultimately, there’s nothing that forces him to do this.

3 Likes

We’ll, the refund only comes if he sits by April 15. After that, tough dice.

Still too lenient for me. I’d levy the fine to $10,000 a minute, and he has until 2:30 pm, today, to get his butt to deposition.

3 Likes

After that the trial’s started, and the entire contempt charge will likely be tossed as moot, as well as the fine.