Alex Jones refuses to appear at deposition in lawsuit against him, saying it would cause him “significant stress"

Originally published at: Alex Jones refuses to appear at deposition in lawsuit against him, saying it would cause him "significant stress" | Boing Boing

13 Likes

This can lead to one of 2 things:

1. Contempt of court and a short stay in prison; or
  2. Striking the his Answer and judgment rendered for the plaintiff followed by a visit by State Marshals to demand payment.
34 Likes

…citing a “sinus blockage.”

Yeah that can happen when you have your head up your own ass.

56 Likes

I read a transcript of part of the proceedings. Jones’s lawyers were in the middle of arguing that he had to stay home for medical reasons and then the opposing counsel basically stepped up to tell the judge “we have reason to believe Jones is doing a live broadcast from his studio right now.

That is a very, very specific level of sick and the judge did not appear to be buying what they were selling.

66 Likes

I did NAZI that coming!

22 Likes

Not helping is the fact that for the last 3 years everything in civil courts that didn’t involve a jury trial has been done by teleconference: appearances, depositions, arguments…

22 Likes

Angry Harrison Ford GIF

How the fuck does he think the families of dead elementary school children feel being harassed by conspiracy theorist HE unleashed…

58 Likes

In unrelated news, high stress levels can lead to heart attacks.

The More You Know Reaction GIF

35 Likes

Well, just imagine how much stress jail time would cause.

19 Likes

Don’t worry about the stress, Alex. The courtroom is a designated safe space.

36 Likes

So he’s a snowflake and finally become the thing he sought to destroy.

41 Likes

It’s called, “contempt of court”, and the person is typically arrested and jailed for refusing to appear.

It ain’t rocket science. Prosecuters need to start adding more charges to these assholes’ records every time they evade the law - which is exactly what he is doing.

#NeverVoteRepublican - they do not respect the law and are hostile to democracy

30 Likes

His continued existence causes me significant stress.

28 Likes

His argument seems to be that it would be too physically taxing to appear in court given that he’s suffering the lingering cardiovascular effects of his bout with Covid-19.

You know, the virus that Jones still insists nobody should get vaccinated against because the vaccine is worse than the disease.

39 Likes

Instagram Fighting GIF by Holly Logan

26 Likes

Because he has a cold??? WTAF, you jackass! You think the shit you pulled on these parents over the years didn’t cause them stress? Eat shit and fuck a honey badger, you asshat!

42 Likes

He can be transported by the elderly appointment van and pay to have his personal physician in attendance.

16 Likes

What a pathetic, weak little man he is.

18 Likes

Ok fair alternative: He gets to hunker under a school desk while people shoot at him. Shouldn’t be stressful, I mean according to him that’s not stressful or bad or anything right? He should be looking forward to it since it’s such a walk in the park for little kids.

22 Likes

IIRC, this is the lawsuit where default was entered due to Jones’ discovery abuse, and the deposition was for purposes of damages (or, roughly speaking, holding him up by his ankles and seeing what shakes out). The case is still set for a jury trial on the amount of damages, in which the jury is allowed to consider how much $$$ Jones is worth so they can determine an appropriate amount of “significant stress” to cause him. I’m not sure if the judge can do more than levy a daily fine to compel compliance (I think jail can only be ordered as punishment, but IMO that would be warranted here as well). The families seem to be in good hands. If Alex Jones punches a picture of your face on live TV you are doing a good job.

11 Likes