All-you-can eat restaurant shuts down after customers ate all they could

Yup. I was just about to write: this is the wet dream of 'Murica right here.

1 Like

Where do you get your corpses?

Edit:
Scrolls up.
Reads:50 years.

Sorry, I will let myself out. I’m sure that joke is 49 years too old. :zipper_mouth_face:

Second edit: Great job btw. Keep on being awesome.

10 Likes

Awesome. Lifting never really did it for me. It seems like the intersection of training and bookkeeping to me. I’m a swimmer. No toys, no charts, just swim a mile, rest, swim a mile…

8 Likes

Ziggy?

index

13 Likes

There is a tale of Buckminster Fuller helping a young girl to maximize her portion size through the use of structural celery and Guacamole.

4 Likes

“Bottomless Pete; natures cruelest mistake.”

3 Likes

I can’t even imagine what they were thinking with that price.

I have that one section of the song Gaston sings from the animated movie “Beauty and the Beast” where he boasts about eating four dozen eggs. :smile:

I also have that one segment from the classic TV show Cheers! where norm gets kicked out of the buffet for eating too much. “You go NOW! You been here four hour! YOU CLEAN ME OUT! YOU LEAVE!”

1 Like

This reminds me of the Dilbert episode where viewers find out where his father went…https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnW24xfLCx8

3 Likes

Or Homer Simpson…

1 Like

Some all-you-can-eat places, including at least one Mongolian Hot Pot chain based in mainland China, solve the greedy-jerk problem by hitting you with an extra charge if you take more from the buffet than you can eat. I’m not a frequent visitor to such places but I’m a little surprised this isn’t industry-standard practice. Would have been a good solution to Pizza Hut’s salad tower problem…

2 Likes

Do you want to imagine what they were serving at that price?

This is definitely a common policy in the US as well. I always wonder how much you’d have to take and not eat for them to enforce it.

“You didn’t eat the bones of that chicken thigh, sir.” Well, no…
“And you say you didn’t like the slice of cake you took, either? Oh, dear…”

In the 80s a friend who has truly legendary eating capabilities - he’s like a 5’6" black hole, I swear - took ten other people to an “All You Can Eat” shrimp joint near Washington DC.

Several hours in, the rest of us were just sipping our bottomless iced tea and watching him devour plate after plate of shrimp, hush puppies, and fries (you had to clear the plate to get another one) when the manager came to the table and said “sir, what would I need to do to make you leave?” My buddy smiled and spread his arms grandly to indicate all ten of us, saying “all my friends eat for free!” The manager said “Done. Get out. All of you. Please. Please just get out.”

14 Likes

It’s all about cultivating norms: when the establishment’s regulars start turning to look at you and you hear the slowly swelling chant of ‘Gavage! Gavage! Gavage!’ you know it’s time to agree to the penalty, allocate a decent tip; and depart.

1 Like

Using the service you paid for doesn’t make you a cheapskate. If I’m on a budget and someone offers me free food for a month, I’m going to eat free food for a month.

Customers in other countries might not have taken advantage so comprehensively (e.g. passing the card around), but this deal basically amounted to “everyone eats free for our first month in business.” There’s no restaurant in the world that could have survived that.

1 Like

Interestingly, the only US places I’ve seen with that policy are Chinese buffets. Those are also the only places that don’t give free refills on fountain drinks.

It does sound like Chinese customers are keener on squeezing out their penny’s worth than US ones.

There was an " All You Can Eat " place we hit on vacation in the early 1960’s that my two older brothers and I ate all the meat entrees and most of the deserts too.
Good memories…Burb…

When I was in high school, there was this kid Jim who used to have stoner parties every weekend. First place I ever saw a one pound bag of cannabis. Anyway, on Sunday, everybody who passed out there on Saturday night would wake up, smoke as much weed as they could handle, and then they’d descend on the all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet.

You ever seen a dozen really stoned teenagers at a Chinese buffet?

It’s like shark week. It still haunts me.

6 Likes

Around here (Central Ontario, Canada), I’ve only seen the surcharge for uneaten food at all-you-can-eat Sushi places. I’ve never heard of anyone being charged it. Seems too simple to avoid… unless you really messed up on the over-ordering, just wait 10 minutes, burp or fart to make some room, and get those last few rolls into ya.

The defense chinese buffets use 'round here is time limits; you are buying a ticket for the lunch ride or the supper ride. Each have defined times. All the damage for the $11.99 lunch at my favorite place has to be done between the hours of 11am to 2:30pm.

Given the popularity of chinese buffets here, they must be somewhat profitable. It’s hard to find a non-buffet locally, where you can order family style.