Man claims he was banned from all-you-can-eat buffet for eating too much

Originally published at: Man claims he was banned from all-you-can-eat buffet for eating too much | Boing Boing

2 Likes

where are there still buffets?

i thought the 'rona put an end to all that.

5 Likes

In China, where Corona is basically a thing of the past and has all but been eradicated.

9 Likes

Season 3 Wtf GIF by The Simpsons

17 Likes

When I was in Rotterdam I visited the nicest all-you-can eat buffet I’d ever seen, located in a nice park setting. Prices were reasonable, food quality was good, and it included beer and wine! Other than the alcohol the other unique twist was that you pay based on how much time you spend in the restaurant, which I thought was interesting.

Most of the patrons seemed very restrained when it came to how much they ate and drank. I don’t know if that restaurant model could ever work in the US.

9 Likes

Classic episode.

30 Likes

I kind of like the approach the bartenders used on “Drink and Drown” nights in the bars in Juarez back when I was an undergrad mumble years ago. Yes it was all you can drink, but the bartenders focused their attention on the tipping customers. Between that and the requirement to remain coherent enough to claim US citizenship to be able to return across the border, the bars were clearly able to keep the consumption to a still-profitable level.

5 Likes

all-you-can-eat-buffet

The slightest knowledge of Food Science should send a human screaming/running from these places.

13 Likes

O_O so this is John Pinette’s classic bit come to life??

3 Likes

I tend to give the squint eye to the ones with low traffic, where the dishes have been out for hours, at highly suspect temps, without a good sneeze guard, and with tong handles (if any) falling into to the food, bringing un-washed hand germs with them…

6 Likes

“Yes, Sir, that’s all you can eat!”

9 Likes

That’s a good start, now go deeper, if you dare.

1 Like

Well people like this gentleman are doing us all a big favor then, ensuring that no foodstuffs are sitting around long enough to spoil. Truly a heroic endeavor.

6 Likes

18 Likes

Reading Kitchen Confidential is as far as I’ve dared. I’m now afraid of restaurants that have anything less than a pristine bathroom and I’m deeply suspicious of brunch buffets… :thinking:

But I’m not ready for an Upton Sinclair level of knowledge of the restaurant industry. I think that might break my brain.

4 Likes

That is no man… Tis a merciless eating machine.

14 Likes

When I was in my early 20s, one of the local bars had “Any coin for a drink night”. They put the tip jar on the counter and if you threw in any coin, even a penny, you got a weak highball in return. So of course the jar quickly starts to fill up with pennies and nickels and dimes.

A friend schooled me on the correct way to approach this promotion: “The first drink you order, make sure the bartender sees you stuff a $20 bill in the jar. You will get full strength drinks and priority service all night, and still only end up spending $20.10”.

3 Likes
5 Likes

That’s the one. RIP, John.

1 Like

Came here to post that video.

I miss John Pinette. He was always good for laugh out loud.

3 Likes