Alt-Right Rally And Counter Protest In Berkeley

That was what the guy who got shot in Seattle was effectively doing.

OK, he wasn’t hugging people, but he was trying to break up fights and keep the protest peaceful. He didn’t even get shot for that, he was just an easy target for the arsehole with a gun who wanted to shoot a liberal.

13 Likes

Wow. Is that how it ends for ol’ SenorSchaffer?

2 Likes

I hadn’t heard of this. That’s fucking terrible.

5 Likes

It happened the same day that Richard Spencer got punched on camera, although the shooting appears to be unrelated.

9 Likes

No, not allowed. We all have to live at a minimum long enough to see Trump impeached. (And hopefully much longer to help with the Great Rebuilding ). I just couldn’t pass up the bleeding heart reference.

That reminds me:

16 Likes

Here’s a pretty good summary of Saturday.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-berkeley-alt-right-20170417-story.html

7 Likes

Your story, even in its entirety, will be a comedy, not a tragedy. Not even tragic comedy. Possibly comedic pastoral.

1 Like

Makes sense. Schaffer translates to shepherd.

4 Likes

I hear you, but I spent some time thinking and came up with this:

The Wealthy/Elite have too much power and are illegally taking advantage of the common man.

I think both sides believe some variation of that. The problem is they don’t agree on how to combat it. Am I wrong?

5 Likes

I agree with you. Also they’re both led to believe their problems lie within each other and not upwards.

There’s a very telling exchange in one of the videos where the two participants continue to yell “fascist” and “terrorist” at one another.

4 Likes

Not cans of Pepsi?

8 Likes

Punching people because you disagree with them continues to be both illegal and immoral. Person responsible should be arrested, tried, and sentenced. And there’s no reason not to. There’s not a whit of ambiguity. We’ve video for heaven’s sake.

I am very concerned about the police not doing their jobs, however, and preventing public disorder and violence. If they do not prevent what looks like a small-scale battle in the middle of the city, what on Earth are they for?

7 Likes

They brought those.

In the end, 21 were arrested and police confiscated an array of heavy sticks, knives, and Pepsi cans used as projectiles.

5 Likes

If that were the case then why would anyone organize a tax day rally in SUPPORT of the unaccountable billionaire who refuses to release his tax returns and proudly wages war without Congressional approval? It simply does not compute.

4 Likes

In 9 days Ann Coulter will be speaking at Berkeley.

http://www.yaf.org/events/ann-coulter-university-california-berkeley/

4 Likes

They can’t agree on who the elites are. The fascists believe that some of the most marginalised people are the elites, when they are anything but.

The left generally don’t believe that the fascists are the elite, but that they are being used by the elite to maintain their power.

17 Likes

Because they don’t see him as that. They see him as “one of us”. I’ve heard it many times from his supporters. And he promised to “drain the swamp” of all those corrupt elites, you see. And Congress has a lower approval rating even than Trump, so not getting their approval is a GOOD thing.

Many Trump supporters are conspiracy theorists. They believe that rich, powerful people behind the scenes are running the world. Maybe even Lizard People. But not Trump, he’s a “self-made billionaire”.

8 Likes

Yes, I think you’re right about that.

9 Likes

The billionaire class has most of us so well trained to keep our eyes on the wrong balls.

11 Likes

I guess the authorities will need to figure out who hit who first. And whether she used a bottle as a weapon.

SAP gloves are illegal in California. If she was wearing them, that would be a factor.
And it might be that the law there allows prosecution of anyone who goes into an event with the intention of engaging in violence. It appears to me that both sides intended to fight.
Oddly, there seems to have been at least two confrontations between the two of them. It appears that in the first, she has the bottle and is wearing a hat. In the confrontation where she gets knocked down, she has neither. Or the order could be reversed. It is hard to tell.

Eventually, if this keeps escalating, there is going to be a massacre.