Alt-Right Rally And Counter Protest In Berkeley

Even if we grant the possibility that she said or did something to provoke him at some earlier point in time, the white supremacist guy is a former marine who sucker-punched a 90-pound woman. There’s simply no equivalency here.

19 Likes

The fascists already have escalated to murder in Greece several years ago, which resulted in anarchists responding in kind.

Knowing about the contact between fascists groups in different countries (see the tactics of CasaPound), it may only be a matter of time before the fascists escalate in the US (and in modern times it usually is the fascists who escalate to murder).

13 Likes

Now what if in this crazy mixed up world they wound up falling in love. Aww!

(Sorry, the 10% post-work porter I had may be starting to work its magic)

1 Like

I suspect that law enforcement will need to gather enough evidence to compile a timeline of their interactions.
A sucker punch is “An unexpected punch or blow”. I can’t tell from the video whether that was the case or not. It looks like they hit each other fairly simultaneously, at least in some images.

Personally, I am very disappointed that Mr. Damigo is a former Marine. Of course, he received an OTH Discharge. He seems to be a Psycho. She does not seem like someone you would want as a house sitter, either.
I propose Thunderdome.

There’s video. He bum rushes her. She only put her hand up at the last second.

Not sure about anything leading up to it.

9 Likes

Also, they were clearly separated by the time she got hit. Let’s say she struck first when she had on the hat. At what point is he no longer defending himself and straight out assaulting someone?

5 Likes

Ooh, illegal gloves…

8 Likes

Here’s a video that is obviously slanted but it does have an interview with her prior to the exchange in question and it shows the “punch” and aftermath.

(Some dude is just yelling “KILL! KILL! KILL!” Fun times, eh?)

2 Likes

You seem determined to characterize this event as some kind of fair fight despite all evidence otherwise.

Impartiality is great and all but it’s OK to take sides when one guy is a violent Nazi who was trained in lethal combat and attacks a woman half his size.

19 Likes

I will say that Max is trying to be more objective that the fine people commenting on YouTube.

My hypothetical question still stands. If she did attack him at one point and they separate, how long before it becomes a fresh new case of assault as opposed to defending himself?

1 Like
  1. Even though it’s not in the law, the California Criminal Jury Instructions (CALCRIM) do allow a jury to acquit someone based on a stand-your-ground defense. The instruction appears in CALCRIM #505 and #506, both of which deal with justifiable homicide:

“A defendant is not required to retreat. He or she is entitled to stand his or her ground and defend himself or herself and, if reasonably necessary, to pursue an assailant until the danger of (death/great bodily injury/) has passed. This is so even if safety could have been achieved by retreating.”

So in California, not only could you stay and fight, you can even chase your attacker if it will neutralize the threat to your life.

3 Likes

The video I have seen starts about a second before he hits her. But I honestly can’t tell if their previous interaction (when she had the bottle) happened 10 seconds or 10 minutes before. Or even if that is relevant in Ca. law.
Of course, it looks like a brawl to me. I have never been in a brawl, and don’t want to be. I have taken hand to hand combat instruction courtesy of the USMC. [quote=“Brainspore, post:49, topic:99192, full:true”]
You seem determined to characterize this event as some kind if fair fight despite all evidence otherwise.

Impartiality is great and all but it’s OK to take sides when one guy is a violent Nazi who was trained in lethal combat and attacks a woman half his size
[/quote]

I don’t think “fair” is even an issue here. One of the first things they teach you in OCS is that a fair fight is an indication of poor planning. It seems very clear to me that the White Supremacist committed assault. The question I have is whether Rasta Girl is guilty as well.
But these issues are, I think, to be determined by legal analysis, not just by looking at who won. Or who got in the last punch. I have not seen enough, nor do I know enough California law, to even have a real opinion about those questions.

1 Like

No need to travel even that far; notice that those asshats aren’t trying that shit in Oakland, which is less than 10 miles away.

13 Likes

Doesn’t exactly answer you question but it does show there is a point that defense can become punishable aggression.

2 Likes

Odds this will be construed as suppression of the 1st Amendment?

12 Likes

“Okay, that’s it. That’s as far as the American culture war can possibly be taken. When you’ve got people dressed as superheroes brawling with people dressed as ninjas over who’s got the better warmongering neocon politicians in Washington, you’ve taken this idiotic game to its most ridiculous possible extreme. These Berkeley demonstrations where right-wingers who think America is one COEXIST bumper sticker away from full-fledged Marxism gather to have fist fights with lefties who see Adolph Hitler’s face on every mammal without a Tumblr account have taken the artificial dichotomy created and promulgated by America’s ruling elites and made it so cartoonishly exaggerated that it’s lost all shape and meaning outside of “hey look at me!” social media vanity politics.”

4 Likes

Conservative firebrand? How about “ugly-souled money-grubbing opportunist”?

11 Likes

One, two, three strikes you’re out…

(Naturally rad-Right groups have been working to try to destroy SPL’s cred at places like Wikipedia.)

8 Likes

Exactly. The whitepower crowd has always, at it’s core, been chock full of cowards. Detroit metro has the extra level of scary to these sorts because of our large Muslim population. Hell, even the militant racists outside of the metro are scared shitless of the city. @Melizmatic: Word.

@LapsedPacifist: By now you must realize police only exist to protect the property and rights of those at the very top of the economic and power structure. Always have been, always will.

11 Likes

To protect the wealthy from the lower classes.

Pretty sure they are looking forward to that, give 'em a chance to “Take Back America!”

Yes it will be. The TGOP and the right are already putting together things about suppression of free speech and what are the “libtards” scared of speeches.

Sigh, let’s just split the country and get it over with. Let the “REAL AMERICANS!!” have the South and we can have the rest.

In groups they are STRONG!! Alone, not so much…

1 Like