Alton Brown hates your dumb kitchen gadgets

You beat me to it! I use ours on olives with some regularity, and cherries, too. I think we originally bought it for olive pitting.

@awjt: use that pizza wheel to cut quesadilla, and it will no longer be a unitasker. :wink:

3 Likes

Its odd I vaguely remember Brown being the one who first brought those to my attention. They only seem useful if your doing a lot of cue. But some heavy rubber or plastic coated gloves work just as well if not better.

I always find those incredibly flimsy. Oddly the bear paws are often recommended as an improvement. I use tongs or rubber coated work gloves.

The aeropress basically makes espresso right? In which case its an Americano basically an Italian attempt to mimic American drip coffee using espresso. I’m not a coffee guy, but I tend to like an espresso or Americano if I’m going to drink it.

None of those are unitaskers per se. Sure they only technically do one thing but you can make millions of things using them. And there are certain things you can’t really make without some form of ice cream maker or sausage stuffer (hint they are in the name). More over those are all things Brown has featured on his show and advocated the use of. Electric kettles because they’re generally useful kit to have around (I believe he even used his to heat stock), and because if your going to make sausage or ice cream you really should invest in sausage or ice cream making tools.

Its increasingly looking like Brown is extricating himself from what’s become a game show host gig over at the food network. He’s stripped down his appearances over there to pretty much just Cut Throat Kitchen, and his starting to increase his appearances on the inter webs. Both through his own stuff, and appearances elsewhere. I suspect his contract may be finishing out soon, and I’d be really interested to see what he does next. If there was ever a guy who was an easy match with short form, viral, webernets video and streaming its this guy.

2 Likes

I also use mine to cut any kind of pie crust or thin dough before cooking!

1 Like

well… yes… but i can make ice cream perfectly well a million (well, several hundred) other ways, and i sure as hell can stuff a sausage without a 5lbs crank stuffer. if i were brave i could hook a stuffing tube up to my grinder and bypass the stuffer entirely (but i won’t do that, for reasons). Or pipe via a plastic bag.

But I use them and enjoy them. I also found my Cherry pitter which is a godsend during two weeks out of the year.

Not a unitasker. Does small pasta portions and loose leaf tea nicely. You just have to be willing to clean it.

Sausage stuffer.

Strictly speaking a Fleshlight can also be used for home defense. Interestingly… it’s another utility where a willingness to clean it may limit its usefulness.

4 Likes

That’s why I always get the Swiffer™ attachment.

Well I don’t think a sausage stuffer is a unitasker in the way Brown means it. Because unless you can figure out how to do this:

Then you need one of some sort to make stuffed sausage. And it isn’t as if it only makes a single size shape, and type of sausage. So too the electictic kettle. All it does is make liquid hot. But you can use to to heat any liquid. And for any task that requires hot liquid. Compare those to the breakfast sandwich maker. All it does is make breakfast sandwiches. But you don’t need it to make breakfast sandwiches. And you can’t really make anything else in it.

Same deal with the list @awjt gives . The rasp can zest or grate anything its not a unitasker, its basic kitchen equipment. The tortilla press isn’t necessary for tortillas, but its necessary to make them properly. And it can be used to smash any dough or dough like product. Like burger meat. Pizza wheels (and similar devices) are useful for long straight cuts in any sheet of material. Like brownies or pasta dough. Rice cookers can be used to make a ton of dishes, but that’s kind of a stretch. I think people are misunderstanding the unitasker label. Its not meant for things like waffle irons that are intrinsically necessary for certain dishes. Or for tools that can only do one function, but where that function is basic and applicable to nearly any dish. Knives mostly just cut. Stoves just make things hot. If you’re reductive everything is a unitasker.

1 Like

I’ll go +1 on the claws for lifting larger and hot objects and for shredding. Shredding 5+ pounds of meat with a fork? No thank you.

2 Likes

He considers waffle irons to be unitaskers. But as it’s an appliance it falls under a different rule where it needs to be used at least every six months.

He really has no issue with people having unitaskers, only ones that they don’t use.

Also, have a look at what he thinks about rice cookers: http://gizmodo.com/5347140/alton-brown-kitchen-gadget-judgment-calls---yea-or-nay

My point is that the unitasker label is a lot deeper than what it would appear.

1 Like

Uh, a naked element without a sacrificial anode, an 1800 watt exposed element, and plastic bits? No, that heats water, nothing else.

You really don’t. It saves time, bit you really, really don’t. Like I mentioned, you can do it from a grinder (which you also need). Citation: I make a lot of sausage.

Then I think we largely agree. The principle isn’t ‘task’ but ‘time saved vs cost/hassle’. Which makes a sausage stuffer if you aren’t a commercial operation a unitasker.

(They really arent–they are useful for short straightish cuts, where straight doesn’t really matter. That’s why for pizza you use http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41fY8ZVCnpL._SX342_.jpg)

1 Like

I prefer to use one of these:

4 Likes

I made cherry jam a few years ago, and stopped in the middle to drive 45 minutes to a store that sold cherry pitters. Ain’t nobody got time for (doing) that (by hand).

5 Likes

It’s also the best tool to cut brownies… assuming they ever make it out of the baking pan. :smile:

Proclaiming a tool to be a unitasker shows a lack of imagination. Even my fire extinguisher doubles as a weight to keep the dog out of the dog food cache.

2 Likes

how often did the dog try to burn down the house so that the stupid weight is moved out of the way?

5 Likes

Angle grinder with the brownie blade.

…

Why yes I did carve pumpkins this year at Halloween with my sawzall. No, really :smiley:

2 Likes

I have this to share:
Make your grilled cheese sandwiches in a waffle press.

You’re welcome.

4 Likes

When you’re using a meat grinder to stuff sausage you use a sausage stuffing nozzle/attachment. Which is a kind of sausage stuffer. As are those things that are basically just an over sized funnel with a stick for smooshing it all in there. Absent Czech butcher tool free sausage stuffing super powers you need some sort of contraption to get the meat in the casing. As such it makes sense to get a good contraption. The sausage stuffers for mechanical grinders and the kitchen aid grinder are OK if you don’t make sausage often. The attachments for hand cranked grinders are horrible in my experience. The funnel and stick approach just makes me think of that adage about putting shit back in a goose.[quote=“nothingfuture, post:56, topic:70550, full:true”]
I have this to share:Make your grilled cheese sandwiches in a waffle press.

You’re welcome.
[/quote]

STUFFING WAFFLES

If you’re overly contrary, nothing is a unitasker. Even the egg tube maker could stand in for a hammer if you needed a blunt object, say to bash someone’s head, with whom you disagree with on the Internet.

7 Likes

If you’re feeling frisky, I have more (that I’ve tested personally):

1. Re-heat leftover pizza
  2. Cinnamon buns.
  3. Hash browns (the shredded kind, not “home fries”)

Now that I have my waffle iron back, it’s time to mess around some more.

Ah, another thin crust adherent, I see.