Alton Brown hates your dumb kitchen gadgets

There are cheap, unreliable versions. The pair I have are the ones listed in the link. They’re made of 18/8 stainless steel, and can hoist a 30 pound bird.

You need to construct a stainless false bottom, my friend. Then line with cheesecloth and press out some curds. I am going to try this with my Lem ASAP.

1 Like

the big thing it is missing is the pressure gauge or spring. otherwise with a FB it is sooo close to a pro cheese press. mine isn’t a lem, but i am convinced they are made in the same factory.

1 Like

I think an important thing to remember about many single-use gadgets is that they are produced as adaptive equipment for people with disabilities and then mass marketed to keep prices down. Not so much the ones in the video, though.

Mine was covered in ewwy factory oil when I got it. Had to wash it three or four times before using it. There may be a way to retrofit it for counterweights instead of the crank without destroying it

I like my bangers like I like my coffee: strong, black and undiluted.

1 Like

& @japhroaig
if you’ve ever had anything with refried beans or sour cream (and prob guac,too) from Taco Bell, then you’ve eaten food prepared with one. they make their own food tubes in the same packaging as caulk uses, and the guns are standard hardware store type. not really useful info for home consumers, but just puttin’ it out there

3 Likes

See the tube and nozzle is the thing. The right plates for the front of a a decent cookie press and you’ve got something close. But a cleanable, refillable tube that fits on one of the standard sizes of caulk gun. With interchangeable tips? That’d be cool. Might be sort of hinky though.

1 Like

An electric kettle is a unitasker only in the same sense that a refrigerator is.

1 Like

Well, they are for digging big-ass trenches, unless you have different standards of “big-ass” than most people.

Ask me if I put more than water in my kettle. Ask me if I put sausages in my fridge. We will debate the specifics of unitaskers after that :smile:

(Food in an electic kettle with an exposed element and plastic pouring pieces??)

1 Like

After it was pointed out — probably here — that a lot of those gadgets are actually very helpful for the disabled, elderly, and infirm, who may really have trouble with simple tasks like using a colander, it made laughing at the incredibly clumsy people in infomercials much less fun.

THANKS OBAMA

2 Likes

I have a cookbook called ‘Will it Waffle?’ The answer is usually, yes, it will waffle.

2 Likes

“Everyone I know has this big but.”

“Let’s talk about your big but, Simone”

4 Likes

See my electric kettle doesn’t have an exposed element. The element is encased in the stainless steel bottom of the kettle. And you sort of click it into a base that plugs into the wall. It doesn’t boil quite as fast as the old school exposed element type. But I think the benefits of not having to fight a cord while pouring, as well as its giant on switch, large capacity and auto off features compensate. I’ve definitely put dairy, wine and stock up in there. Great for risotto in a crammed NY apartment. And I think I made mulled wine in it once (its hazy because mulled wine). I think its a Cuisinart, only thing I don’t like is the large food print. If it was taller and narrower I’d be obsessed enough to know the brand for sure.

4 Likes

You understand we would likely be besties in real life, right? (I would be your comedic yet scientifically sidekick)

1 Like

I’m just here for the mulled wine.

2 Likes

That’s why the smart dogs live outdoors. Only the stupid one is allowed inside the house.

1 Like

Considering what caffeine does to blood pressure, one may actually be in need of a penis pump after using an AeroPress too often.

1 Like

Gonna be honest, as a disabled person with motor difficulties, it’s still funny watching abled infomercial actors fail at using devices created for them.

1 Like