Amazing photos of savannah surgery on a lioness

[Permalink]

Buffalo A: Hey guys I killed a lion today!
Buffalo B: Wow, congrats!
Buffalo C: Wait a minute, you mean this lion?
Buffalo A: Fucking humans.

8 Likes

I like to imagine they stitched up the claw marks on the buffalo too, then sent both animals back out there for round 2.

4 Likes

WTF
What about all those times that I watched some critter go through an agonizing death on a nature show because interfering with nature is wrong…

Geez that buffalo must be pissed. I’m sure the lion was trying to murder it first, right?

I’m not sure the other cats will totally accept an injured member back into the pride, though I am sure the biologists and vets meant well, maybe an animal hospital might have been a better choice for rehabilitation.

If it were an injured male, there is a good chance you’d be correct. One of the other males - either already in the pride, or in the area - would likely challenge and unseat him from the pride.

But, because it’s a female, especially one with cubs, it’s much less likely she’d get pushed out. The male would act to protect his cubs, and that means keeping the female around. The other females are more than likely either her sisters or half-sisters, and would similarly act to protect her.

She’ll not be able to properly hunt for the next while, but stitching her up and leaving her be is far less disruptive then moving her and her cubs off their territory, in the hopes of reintegrating them later.

Source: Ex-safari guide.

5 Likes

Treatment started in the afternoon when she was darted. Moments later a sub-adult lioness promptly sauntered up to Siena who was still standing while the drug was taking effect and pulled the dart out of her with her teeth.

Nice!

2 Likes

I’m sure the biologists and vets know what they’re doing, and I really mean no offence here, but I’d trust their judgement in this situation over a random internet commenter.

1 Like

Thanks! Great response!

Lioness: “You should see the other guy.”

How dare you challenge me in my basement seat of omniscience!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.