Amber Heard blames the fans and the attorneys

If you don’t mind, I’m gonna cross-post this in the misogyny thread… Thanks for sharing it.

4 Likes

A UK court found her sufficiently credible that she won her libel suit against him there, which is no joke considering how easy it is to win a case accusing someone else of libel in the UK. We have audio of her saying she was afraid he was going to kill her and him not refuting it, which is a pretty tacit admission that she had some reason to think that. We have texts from his assistant saying she told Depp that he hit Heard while blacked out or in a rage.

However credible or otherwise you find her claims, whether or not you believe that she was also abusing him or that she was just reacting to his abuse, there’s not a credible argument to be made that he didn’t abuse her.

6 Likes

I’m gonna again recommend the podcast that @wanderingwayfarer posted. It’s a great break down of the facts of the case and the earlier British libel case, which Depp lost, and which had a much higher standard of proof for the abuse claims, some of which you note here.

6 Likes

Yeah, that’s a good one. Michael Hobbes’s article on The Present Age is likewise great and is what ultimately flipped me from “not sure what happened here” to “yeah, he’s definitely an abuser.”

4 Likes

Here’s hoping that some folks here read this and listen to the podcast rather than just accepting the tabloid, tik-tok version of events. Clearly, too many people learned literally nothing from the whole Brittney Spears fiasco. I’m really concerned that Depp’s next girlfriend is going to get it much worse than Heard did and we might have another Phil Spektor case on our hands. People ignored the abuse he heaped on his partners for years, until he killed his wife. Everyone fucking knew, and no one did shit about it.

7 Likes

Honestly, one of the reasons his article was so impactful to me is because he used to co-host You’re Wrong About, a podcast which, among other things, dug deep into how terribly we treated Britney Spears, Anita Hill, Tonya Harding, and so on, so he has a lot of credibility to me when he says that this is the exact same thing.

I hope you’re wrong about this turning into a Phil Spektor case, but regardless of whatever Depp does for the rest of his life, this has absolutely had a chilling effect on victims, especially those accusing wealthy and powerful men. And that’s a situation that nobody worth talking to should want.

7 Likes

True.

Me too, of course, but the public has a habit of letting men do terrible things to others as long as they’re “good artists”… As if our pleasure is worth the pain they might inflict on others.

And it has a downward effect on everyday people living with this kind of violence and abuse on a regular basis.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.