American tourist demands to see Pope, then smashes two ancient statues in the Vatican

Damn straight. Even the Blue Meanies were quite stylish:

8 Likes

I see your blue meanies and raise to a pair of kinky boot beasts.

8 Likes

ETA: Not just Yurpeen boots, neither:

7 Likes

I like Namor’s dress shoes in the lower left of the top picture. I hope he pairs them with a formal speedo with cummerbund.

4 Likes

It is a look that stirs obscure passions.

AssuredHeftyAlligatorsnappingturtle-size_restricted

5 Likes

Could never understand why they’d look like wings 'steada fins ??!!

3 Likes

Right!? From what I can recall, he was a mutant and those wings are his mutant power or some such ridiculousness. I believe the real answer though is “comic writers used to really like drugs.” Now I need to go tie wings on my kinky boots because it clearly makes life better. And I bet the Pope would finally pay attention to me then!

4 Likes

So much to not understand (at least for me). Heck. Yet I didn’t throw my hands up until I discovered that the episodes’ incidental music was actually sourced from a huge catalog of British instrumental stock music.

1 Like

I always assumed the writers had heard of flying fish but had never actually seen a picture of one.

1 Like

Makes me wonder about the Vatican’s massive collection of stolen religious artifacts. John Oliver excoriated the British Museum this week. (or last week. or tonight).

1 Like

…nor had ever seen any. We saw them in - and out of! - the Caribbean when we visited Jamaica :smiley:

1 Like

Was it Brunton Music, or De Wolfe Music? Python got some of their awful, corny library music from the latter.

3 Likes

8 Likes

210 !!!

2 Likes

Touring Italy, I was continually impressed by how many things were just there and touchable. People stroke the hand of their religious idol, or clamber over shards of temples.

We’d have that stuff wired for vibration and tucked behind thick plexiglass walls. And I guess that’s why our dumbass people assume they’re entitled to go apeshit on ancient art - because they can.

2 Likes

Well, there’s no place like Rome.

6 Likes

Quite possibly… but definitely (also?) from the KPM music library with its many excellent composer contributors, one of my favorites being Trevor Duncan whose “The Thing” and “Cosmic Cloud” was sprinkled here and there in the old Aquaman cartoons.

2 Likes

My assumption always was the creator was working from similar mythical source material that resulted in the look of the Jay Garrick Flash character, that being the winged sandals of Hermes. Especially if we take into consideration that the story of Atlantis is a part of ancient Greek culture to begin with.

4 Likes

As I read those words I heard Paul Simon singing them in my head.

4 Likes

Ah, yes, yummy KPM. :smiley:

CAM’s also tasty, esp the Stati D’Animo vols 1 & 2 [CML 034 & -35].

2 Likes