America's worst: Joe Arpaio to run for his old job

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/26/americas-worst-joe-arpaio-t.html

2 Likes

His opponent(s) have an easy campaign slogan:

Don’t vote for the convicted felon!

22 Likes

I’m not sure that’s the right word since that implies that he was found guilty by a judge or jury.

However, since accepting a pardon requires admitting guilt for the crime you were pardoned for, he’s definitely a confessed criminal.

8 Likes

He was convicted of contempt of court. By a judge.

25 Likes

You’re right!

I misremembered because he was pardoned before he was sentenced, but he had already been found guilty by that time.

9 Likes

Could the people of Maricopa County possibly be stupid enough to vote for this steaming racist turd?

[that’s a rhetorical question; after November of 2016, the answer is “probably”]

13 Likes

Will they vote for someone who represents their values? I guarantee that no less than 40% of the electorate are only mad that he was too soft on immigrants.

5 Likes

“Represents their values” … “Stupid”… six of one, half a dozen of the other for that 40%.

8 Likes

I’m not living in Maricopa County andy more (60+ years was enough) but my best read of the folk there is that having Joe on the ballot is going to be great for Democratic turnout.

13 Likes

Ha.

After all, turnabout in the turnout is only fair play!

6 Likes

As a (literal) convicted felon, how is he even eligible to run for the office :interrobang:

Oh… Arizona…

Nevermind :slightly_frowning_face:

6 Likes

I know you’ve heard this before, but I just want to remind everyone not to give in to the temptation to believe that Joe Arpaio is the problem here.

I grant you, Joe the Joke is a contemptible old scumbag who should be rotting in prison right now. But if he runs for Maricopa County sheriff again, he’s not doing it by himself. He never did. A wealthy entity – probably a lot of wealthy entities – decided that he was the solution to their problem. We really need to know who these individuals and corporations are, and what was the perceived problem Joe could solve for them.

14 Likes

Arpaio campaign slogan: “Vote for Joe, because he is legally barred from voting for himself!”

13 Likes

Does he not regain his vote after being pardoned?

1 Like

I think that’s a state-by-state decision.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/felon-voting-rights.aspx

2 Likes

7 Likes

From what I’ve read, a convicted felon may have to wait three years before running for public office there - but I’m also not sure contempt of court was a felony in this case.

4 Likes

Is it too optimistic of me to interpret “voting rights restored after completion of sentence” to mean Arpaio, having not served his sentence, will not regain his voting rights, ever?

5 Likes

… we haven’t finished paying for his first set of human right’s violations yet!

2 Likes

All you non-desert dwellers, GTFO! Don’t even think about crossing back over that border into our waste land! This here is my desert, and this here is my sheriff!

/s

2 Likes