An angry Karen cut rope that was supporting painters at high-rise

Originally published at: An angry Karen cut rope that was supporting painters at high-rise | Boing Boing

10 Likes

Attempted murder seems like the right charge.

53 Likes

Look closely. This is our future in the USA.

16 Likes

She left them with the short end of the rope.

12 Likes

Well, one problem with her logic anyway, not sure if that is the only problem with her reasoning that day…

37 Likes

Could we please shelve the ‘Karen’ bullshit? The headline on this story would be just as good with “Angry Woman…”

17 Likes

Was going to say “what’s the Thai equivalent of ‘Karen’?” but then I realized that she probably speaks a different language of Thailand:

36 Likes

The Karens have over 400 words for “I want to speak to the manager”

44 Likes

I’m normally a Karen evangelist, encouraging people to call out men Karening as well.

But I think I agree with you at least on this one. I don’t think this is a case of Karening.

11 Likes

karen? no. this is something else entirely.

4 Likes

Will we ever know the truth?

2 Likes

Seconded, I don’t love the term Karen, but it has a specific context and this article isn’t that context.

6 Likes

Maybe reckless endangerment? Seems unlikely for this sort of work that a lone rope would be a single point of failure.

1 Like

Okay, can someone clarify for me - is this person being called a Karen because they belong to a linguistic group or is it in the North American pejorative sense? I’m confused, but also, neither use seems appropriate in this situation.

She’s just a horrible person.

6 Likes

Knot on my watch.

8 Likes

*Bangkok

4 Likes

A lot of it depends on how the rigging was done, really.

Interfering with said rigging should absolutely be attempted murder charge, especially if you know someone is using that rigging. that’s the same level of horribleness as cutting brake lines on a car.

9 Likes

hang about people

They use two ropes. One for the load, and one for safety (belay). She cut the safety rope so they couldn’t proceed until a second belay was rigged up.

4 Likes

Yeah, when I read the headline I was like “are they misapplying a term exclusively reserved for entitled white women to a completely inappropriate context where that same word refers to a people who are currently threatened with genocide and probably shouldn’t be glibly mocked?”

As it turns out, that was the case. Yikes.

5 Likes