An app to track and shame friends who are late

Yeah, me too. I don’t mind other people being late to my house, but early-birds can really annoy me. I’m always tidying up until the very last minute.

Personally, that’s one place where I really insist on punctuality, even for movies. I hate missing the trailers, and feeling rushed in the concession-stand line.

12 Likes

I’m the same way for shows/performances: I don’t need to be massively early, but there needs to be time to find your seat, get settled, make sure the phone ringer is off, etc.

5 Likes

I’m almost ashamed to say it, but any of my past climbing partners will tell you I am the app. Anyone who’s committed to a pre-dawn start with me has at least once missed the 4 or 5 am start time. I’m a grouchy SOB from when I knock on the door all the way through driving into the mountains. (Why am I such a PITA?)

2 Likes

. . . eat almost all the popcorn before the movie starts because I can’t keep my hands out of it . . .

10 Likes

Have I mentioned that my allergies make me irritable and, dare I say it, bitchier than normal?

I can be over with my patent cure of claritin, DayQuil, and a shit load of wasabi :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

On time is late. Ten minutes early is on time.

Harrumph!

13 Likes

Late is rude.

I’m on time, every time. If I have a six pm affair, say, on a weekend I start my day planning backward from that event. I need n minutes to get there, n minutes to get ready, n minutes to pick up this or that. Only when I’ve buffered enough time ahead of that engagement will I then stack on an event ahead of it.

Now, that’s me. I don’t really begrudge 10 or even 15 minutes - that’s noise - but there are people who are consistently two or three SDs out from that. And then, inevitably, they weave some story about just how busy they were and that their own life just couldn’t be put on hold and aren’t you glad they made it at all? Yeah, fuck those people.

3 Likes

pedants make the world go round.

what is more intersting about this post is i discovered the .wtf top level domain. did not know it was a thing.

My mother is entirely capable of being three days late.

8 Likes

Heading off topic a bit…[Edit because it may not be clear this far along in the thread: I’m posting this with respect to the misunderstanding about @anon50609448’s post #7, above.]

May I offer (to everyone) something that I’ve found really useful?

Miller’s Law:

In order to understand what another person is saying, you must assume that it is true, and try to imagine what it could be true of.

Useful in so many situations.

Explained by Suzette Haden Elgin (who I’ve mentioned a couple of times on this bbs in the past) here

[Edit, on the outside chance that it’s not obvious: Example here: when I read Humbabella’s post I first thought: Huh. That’s a weird post. And then: Well, assuming it’s true, what would it be true of? What might she mean?…Oh! She must mean one’s OWN spouse! Hee, hee, that’s funny. Whew, misunderstanding avoided.]

7 Likes

Because flawless punctuality is a direct measure of character and moral fiber.

3 Likes

I do try to be prompt, but that’s just me.

Where I work being late to a meeting is considered disrespectful of everyone else at a meeting, whether it’s the boss being late or anyone else. Not a “time is money” thing, just basic human decency.

I have read that with many people who are consistently late (not 5 or 10 minutes, but late late) it’s a control issue.

Still, I wouldn’t use an app like this, other than as a joke.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure that’s gravity.

1 Like

Friends are such a 20th century notion, anyhow. They only impede on our personal brands! :wink:

5 Likes

5 Likes

I’m fairly certain that’s gravity… :wink:

[ETA] I see @Melizmatic beat me to that joke!

1 Like

This is absolutely my mother-in-law; she likes making people wait for stuff and she expects that things will wait. We hosted Thanksgiving once (and with my wife’s hearty endorsement), when she was late, we started without her. (“Dinner will be served at 6, please show up any time after 5” had been our instruction. At 6:15, when she showed, we were already moving onto the main courses.) She was pissed, but mighty. (“You said dinner was at six.” “And here we are, at six-fifteen enjoying dinner” my wife said.)

She also gets pissed if anyone puts a fork of food in their own mouth before she’s started eating. She’s not a great deal of fun.

11 Likes

And my brand is nothing if not about hard-core hermitting.

4 Likes

My take on this is: Don’t come down on late attendees. Some people have many reasons for being late. For instance, if you’re one who pays attention to how they look before stepping out, it might be that the mirror has caught your eye and is helping you to look presentable; if the downside is showing up late, so be it, but at least when you (finally) arrive you’ll be looking your best. So, give it a shot. Next time, show up late but … show up GREAT!

Dear God. I’m not always late - I’ve been on time at least twice (once being my wedding).

My wife (then girlfriend) decided early on that she had to either break up with me or accept that I’m incapable of punctuality. Which is not quite correct - I can be on time, but that precludes doing anything for the previous three hours, as getting involved in any intellectual activity makes tardiness a near certainty. My wife, like my mother, is only late by marriage.

Of course, I don’t make arrangements to meet people where it will inconvenience them if I’m late. And to be honest, even I can get a little anxious when friends are more than an hour or two late. (I try to keep it to < 30min.)

2 Likes