An Arizona Senator's trumpgrets

No he’s not. He’s saying, at best, half the right things. He’s correctly articulated some parts of the problem, and he has more or less correctly described his own party’s complicity in creating that problem. But he is failing entirely to acknowledge other very serious issues, and has offered no useful solutions whatsoever.

The White House is in chaos, and the GOP has betrayed its obligations to the Constitution and congressional principles of democracy in pursuit of ideological fanaticism? Yup, okay, thanks for finally noticing.

We’re well past the point where that’s the real problem, though.

The White House isn’t just “rejecting the authority of its own intelligence agencies, disclaiming their findings as a Democratic ruse and a hoax”. The White House is under criminal investigation as a result of those findings. Trump’s family and advisers have very likely been colluding with a hostile foreign power to undermine the democratic process, and the President has been personally engaged in obstruction of justice to cover that up. At this point, it would not surprise me to learn that Trump has been involved for years in using his real estate deals to launder money for Russian oligarchs whose assets were frozen by the Magnitsky Act. It would not surprise me to learn that Putin wanted Trump in office so that he could blackmail him with that information and more besides.

This isn’t about a White House in chaos or an ideologically-blinded GOP anymore. This is about the President of the United States deliberately and repeatedly obstructing a criminal investigation into his collusion with a hostile foreign government. And nobody in the GOP, Flake included, has yet show any evidence that they care about that.

“Somebody should do something!” he cries. “It’s gotta be us, this is our job to do something!” he proclaims. So what’s his answer? What is this brave paragon of democracy suggesting his party should actually do about this? “We should, like, disagree with his tweets sometimes! We should probably admit that filibusters and free trade are actually okay!”

I’m sorry, but what the actual screaming blue fuck is that supposed to accomplish?

Empty rhetoric. Useless. If he’s not going to start rallying the caucus to support impeachment then he’s just another fatuous, bliovating waste of oxygen, and he can sit the hell down.

14 Likes