An epic non-stop action adventure movie that will challenge your senses

Don’t go off topic, you need to discuss Metalstorm, not other movies!

I think I have an anaglyph DVDR around here somewhere, but no 3D glasses to fully appreciate it with. I was always bummed that the rash of resurgent 80s 3D movies were always released on VHS in 2D.

4 Likes

Melanie Griffith and Tim Thomerson, this movie can’t be bad.
Speaking of Tim Thomerson I’ve always loved the Trancer series.

Best line possibly ever in a movie Jack: “You’re knocking on death’s door and I got the god damn key.”
(The joke hear being his name is Jack Deth…)

5 Likes

If we are just listing off those questionably good sci-ish movies I recommend “Freaked”.

And yes you can find the full movie on youtube (although not in the best quality).

2 Likes

Yes it can. Seriously. I was only half paying attention to it one night and it still made me groan.
Fun with friends and drinks but otherwise give it a pass.

2 Likes

I got into a mini-argument because I maintain that Ice Pirates is more impressive and for an adult it holds up better than Spaceballs.

Compare the casts alone.

7 Likes

Trancers is actually pretty ok, but unlike a lot of other films the poster/cover makes it look WAAAAY better than it actually is.

There isn’t a single prop element in the actual film as well designed as the helmet on the poster.

3 Likes

Most definitely. Spaceballs is good, but is too reliant on just making fun of Star Wars. Ice Pirates manages to combine all sword,scifi and fantasy of the 80s into a wonderful little package. The time fight at the end has no equal.

4 Likes

I think of it as “Carlin-smart” smart, but for people who like smart and fart jokes about the same.

2 Likes

Hehehehe Richard Moll as Hurok… (Bull Shannon on Night Court) same year. One performance memorable, another not so much.

3 Likes

It looks like he’s got the blaster from V:

4 Likes

Metalstorm only proves that you don’t need a big budget or big name actors or a good script or even any talent to make a truly awful piece of shit.

7 Likes

I remember seeing this as a kid. Cheezetastic!

1 Like

Huh Never seen it.

I DID finally watch Logan’s Run.

It got me thinking - we are SOOOO lucky we didn’t end up with a craptacular synth soundtrack that was popular at the time for Star Wars.

5 Likes

Ok. I won’t. But I’ve wondered many times about this, because I could never remember the title or what was it about, only that it was the only 3D movie I ever saw in the 20th century and that scene with the acid shooting at the camera.

1 Like

Hold your tongue! The soundtrack to Logan’s Run was 2doep.

I don’t understand the contemporary aversion to electronic scores in favor of faux-epic symphonic loop libraries and pop songs.

4 Likes

I was going to add “Damnation Alley” and “Meteor” to the list but those are actually from the 70’s. Damn, I’m old. When I look back at what we had to sustain ourselves with when it came to video games and sci-fi movies, I sometimes wonder how we survived.

2 Likes
8 Likes

I don’t mine ALL synth scores - but a lot of them - most of them - were not very good. Especially Logans run where there were parts meant to be dischordian (sp) and noddley - it literally sounds like a money on a synth. Though not all of the soundtrack was like that. I found too much of it be distracting vs enhancing.

The one exception I can think of for synth scores would be Bladerunner. And I am sure there other movies where it holds up well. Clockwork Orange to a degree. But too often it sounds dated and IMHO lazy.

This is coming from someone who in general like Electronica.

1 Like

Friend of mine had it on his shelf, and has also named one of his cats after the title character. He gave me a synopsis of the film and showed me one scene, said that was really all I needed to know about it.

2 Likes

Are The Scanners’es’ too good to be bad?

2 Likes