An epic non-stop action adventure movie that will challenge your senses

I think they’re kind of over-selling Galaxina.

2 Likes

What’s a motherfucker gotta do to talk about KRULL in here?

15 Likes

Come on, where else are you gonna see Avery Schreiber with a comically long beard? Or… THE BLUE STAR? [:musical_note: heavenly choir :musical_note:]

2 Likes

It’s from '78, but I’m pretty fond of Circle of Iron myself.

Some of my favorites are old experiments in both. I would be hard pressed to name names, but once in a while I’ll run across a 70s movie, usually lower tier budget, that sounds like it was written by a straight ahead orchestral soundtrack composer who decided to dabble in the synths that the kids are listening to nowadays, and there will be this kind of awkward kludged together feel about it like hollywood was collectively figuring out how to fit these new fangled sounds into a symphonic soundtrack. I find it appealing because it sometimes sounds so unlike anything else before or after.

1 Like

Oh good no one mentioned one of my favorite 80’s schlock scifi Star Wars knock offs:

John Boy in space!

7 Likes

That is a Seven Samurai knock off… get your source material right!

ETA a well not better, but more of a Star Wars rip off proper I give you direct from Italy!

ETA more umm yeah I forgot the when you can say Caroline Munro in a space bikini is the only redeeming thing about the movie it isn’t a good film but it is cheesy fun and worth seeing with your favorite beverage and friends. And it has David Hasselhoff in it.

4 Likes

:heart:the 80’s

3 Likes

Not appreciating 80’s cheese would be a definitely deal breaker for me. My love isn’t that unconditional.

3 Likes

The Japanese star wars knockoff is not to be missed, “Message from space”. So much space samurai!

3 Likes

Why the fuck are hardly any of these posts about the movie mentioned in the OP? This is like 95% off topic.

Are you… disappointed in boingboing??

3 Likes

I am hostile to people who subject others to double-standards. I get flagged, dogpiled, and deleted for discussing something on-topic in an unpopular way, so I call bullshit when then the community glibly avoids any pretense of topicality and it’s supposedly once again my problem if/when I call them to it.

1 Like

That’s another Seven Samurai rip off as well that mixes in a bit of Star Wars and Super Sentai. I love that movie.

4 Likes

this is what happens when you go down the rabbit hole of bad 80s sci-fi.
and really there isn’t much to be said about Metalstorm that has not already been said.

5 Likes

Ah yes, bad old 3D movies.

2 Likes

Here 's a non-3D one from the same era.

I liked the princess with the finishing move of kneeing her attacker in the balls. Eventually she tries it on the big demonic sorcerer squeezed into a small meat suit. thunkthunk* oops.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Eh, a rehashed mashup of 100-year-old Wagner and 50-year-old Holst is nothing to write home about.

2 Likes

I hope you did NOT just dis Jerry Goldsmith’s brilliant score for Logan’s Run which — along with Jenny Agutter’s tits — is the only thing worth remembering about that movie.

1 Like