An ode to Daylight Saving Time and lazy parenting

Hear, hear. Either let me off work by 3:00 PM or stop making the sun go down shortly after 4:00. Months and months go by without me being able to drive home without my headlights. I don’t mind driving to work in the dark, since that sun will be up by the time I actually have to do anything.

6 Likes

I should move to Equador.

6 Likes

As a 4th generation native San Diegan, I regard 330 days of sunshine a year as my birthright. I don’t actually need my days to be 18 hours long, but I do get annoyed when work keeps me away from my main source of Vitamin D.

9 Likes

Work doesn’t let you have American cheese slices?

5 Likes

I remember as a kid my little sister being all confused about it. She was probably 7 or so. "But what time is it reeeaaaaallllly?!?!?!?!?"

4 Likes

*looks at my wrist*
A hair past the freckle.

6 Likes

I’m 46 and still say that.

6 Likes

In fact, on my last four shows, I’ve had to bring in my own Kraft Singles.

I tellya, HR oughta hear about this.

7 Likes

Are you part of a union? This needs to be settled through collective bargaining.

5 Likes

My mom used to insist to my dad that he had to change the clock on the sprinkler system twice a year. He never could get her to accept how completely unnecessary that was.

6 Likes

As a matter of fact, my job is one of the few jobs in the Industry that somehow stubbornly stays non-union on most shows. I’ve never had the foggiest notion why. But really, any chimp with a high school education can stroll in off the street, spend a couple weeks under my tutelage, and do 90% of my job pretty darned well. And with a good resume and a couple good recommendations, you can have a good, well-paying career that requires no college degree and no union affiliation.

But don’t tell anyone. :wink:

6 Likes

Isle of Skye a week before the summer solstice - I don’t think the sun ever went down, it just sort of bobbed at the horizon. Made walking back from the pub at 2am really easy.

6 Likes

Whoa-ho-ho-ho, look at Mr Hollywood name dropping non-store brand processed cheese food products. Problems of the rich and famous!

And clocks, this thread is about not changing clocks, right? Here in America’s dangle it’s not quite so bad but still pisses me off.

6 Likes

Can I do it from home?!

3 Likes

If you live somewhere with properly aligned streets, and if there is a clock tower in your neighborhood that elaborately rings at noon, then one day you hear the chimes and look in the sky and see that the sun is clearly still shining from the southeast.

And then you really understand how wrong all this is.

6 Likes

I’m tellin’ ya. It’s a pretty sweet gig.

3 Likes

Well, you need something to do during those 12 hour days. Runs to crafty can only fill so many hours. Gobos? I think you mean coucs. You guys don’t use ellipsoidals.

1 Like

A surprisingly large amount of it these days, yes. Supervising sound mixes and color correction have to be done at the post facility. VFX approvals, remote ADR sessions, and all scheduling and billing jobs can be done in your jammies on the sofa. It’s not unknown for editors to work at home on their own Avids; a few directors have them installed at their houses so their days in the cutting room are actually spent at home.

3 Likes

Not often, it’s true; most of the Lekos I dealt with were in my college theater days. But we used some just the other day on a dream sequence.

2 Likes

A couple years ago I spent the winter in San Diego.

(Note: In San Diego, winter is two weeks in December, when it might get below 50° at night.)

Even on New Year’s Eve, it was still picnic weather in the daytime. You could watch flocks of feral parrots fly from one palm tree to the next.

So all I can say is, move to Seattle in September, stay for six months, and then you can complain about how much sunlight you used to get in Southern California during Pacific Standard Time :-)

5 Likes