An ode to Daylight Saving Time and lazy parenting

Oh god so much this, dark for the commute to work, dark by the time you get home, and usually totally overcast.
Happily summer more than makes up for it for me.

6 Likes

And the sun so low in the sky that “overcast” is like twilight all day long.

2 Likes

On the few sunny days when I worked up in Everett in the taller offices at the lazy b I could get to the balcony on the top floor look south and see Rainier and then north to Baker that was pretty nice.

2 Likes

I used to be able to work in my office without direct-to-the-face sunlight. Now it’s so low in the sky that it comes through the window. F’ing sun.

3 Likes

Burlington is pretty similar to Portland’s day length. There was a period of more than a month each winter that I wouldn’t see daylight on weekdays, and with the clouds I had a middling chance of seeing it on weekends too.

Full spectrum and wake-up lights plus vitamin D were the only way I could stay sane.

2 Likes

Obligs:

4 Likes

It was harder in the past.

11 Likes

Are we talking Burlington (Vermont or Oregon) and Portland (Maine or Oregon)?

They’re all about the same latitude, so I’m very confused right now!

3 Likes

Burlington WA, and a wee bit further north is Bellingham which outdoes Seattle for number of gloomy overcast days. Excellent used book stores though.

ETA could be OR too… I can’t keep track of where all the west coast folk are…
ETA I think VT as his location says that… sooo nevermind.

2 Likes

DST? Confuses the cows and fades the wallpaper. :slight_frown:

3 Likes

I did mean VT and OR, but I can see how that can be confusing. Either way, they’re all rather dreary places.

4 Likes

I thought I had some in a box.

I opened the corner just a wee bit to check.

2 Likes

Portland never means Portland ME. I’ve spent a fair amount of time in Portland ME, and although it’s a nice town there’s no real there there. It has a little bit of its own thing, but it’s not nearly as sizable as Portland OR so it doesn’t have the carrying capacity to be a countercultural stronghold. Portland ME is basically where people from Boston go on day trips.

Speaking of nice little towns where people from Boston go on day trips, Burlington is Burlington VT. I’ve never heard of Burlington OR, but when I hear Burlington I think VT rather than Burlington MA, IA, IL (all of which I’ve been to), CA, CO, CT, IN, KS, KY, ME, MI, NJ, NY, NC, ND, OH, OK, PA, TX, WA, WV, WI, or WY (none of which I’ve been to or even heard of).

ETA: Burlington NL, NS, ON, PE… and in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England.

3 Likes

To know that for sure, you need to look at the sun and set a clock to high noon. This resulted in each town having its own local time. The advent of railroads made this confusing, so we invented time zones, which often get the “real” time wrong by nearly two hours (in the US) or as much as six hours (all of China is the same time zone, even the part that borders Afghanistan). Still, time zones keep everything synched up, even if they’re “wrong”. Otherwise, each town would be its own little Indiana, and we don’t want that :wink:

3 Likes

I don’t know about you guys, but I LOVED it getting dark at 4:45 today.

I can’t understand why anyone likes DST at all.

It’ll be even more awesome in Dec.

4 Likes

Oh man, dark when you get up, dark when you get home, overcast all day and you haven’t even worked 8 hours. Again summer more than makes up for that to me so it is what its.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.