An ode to Tom Baker

Let’s not forget him as the love interest in Vicar of Dibley…

8 Likes

McCoy did get short changed, but no one got screwed more than Colin Baker. If John Nathan Turner hadnt given him such a goofy outfit and made him strangle Peri in his debut, people would be able to look past Colin’s crappy stories.

Colin Baker needs WAY more love.

7 Likes

Agreed!

4 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EfW9znJYjw

As much as I like his Dr Who, this is his best role I think.

5 Likes

tumblr_mj8eakARtq1rmwez8o1_400

6 Likes

I’m a sucker for “Father’s Day”

2 Likes

I know that I watched Pertwee as the Doctor in the very early 70s. I was about 6 or 7 at the time, and I remember the car (Bessie) and the Brigadier. Being so young, I couldn’t say what channel it was on.

I dug around a bit and it was an episode from The Daemons: (which gave me a good scare, I might add. Enough that my parents didn’t let me watch any more after that one.)

6 Likes

In the early 80’s or so, A NYC station had Doctor Who listed on the schedule on Saturday mornings, but every once in a while they’d show professional wrestling instead. I did not find it a passable substitute.

4 Likes

ezgif-3-c57906aec3b9

Tom may perhaps be the best but Jodie will forever be my favourite.

13 Likes

one of the things i love about the Nu-Who era is how sometimes the newer Doctors bring back Tom’s energy in various ways, from seemingly random patter to playfulness and fashion choices, illustrating (to me) that they are all still the same character. I think Jodie did a great job with this. i love her.

9 Likes

Colin Baker Flirt GIF by Doctor Who

I’m inclined to agree. JNT was probably the most hated show runner, and for good reason… He just didn’t get it, I’m afraid.

As for that outfit… it looks better when you make it a dress…

And @FGD135

She really is just fantastic. I’m gonna miss her when she’s gone.

15 Likes

Eccleston and McGann don’t get nearly enough appreciation, either. I get that McGann was only in the one joint film production, but he’s Paul McGann FFS!

8 Likes

There is a fair amount of radio dramas with McGann…

Some of which were made canon during the 50th anniversary with the shorts leading up to the War Doctor story…

6 Likes

Janet Fielding’s Tegan Jovanka, a companion to the Fourth and Fifth Doctors (respectively Tom Baker and Peter Davidson) is returning, as is Sophie Aldred’s Ace, companion to Sylvester McCoy’s Seventh Doctor.

Happy Doctor Who GIF by BBC America

sophie aldred ace GIF by Doctor Who

8 Likes

[ETA: I do love me them sexy Scotsmen. I descend from a long line of 'em, which may be why.]

2 Likes

The War Doctor was painful and wonderful. Our room got mighty dusty as we watched that one, too. John Hurt was a true gem.

tumblr was full of jokes at the time re: counting. “Doctor Who fans sure do count funny! 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, War, 9, 10, 11…”

I’d forgot the radio stuff! I never listened to any of those, but I shoulda oughta remembered 'em.

7 Likes

And also, does anyone know where the Fugitive Doctor fits?

I think the going theory is that she fits between Troughton and Pertwee…

5 Likes

Yes. I saw them all too. My memory is that they started showing the Baker shows first but it could be thats just what my local PBS station did. Or maybe I just noticed the Baker shows first. He definitely got me hooked.

3 Likes

(W) Jody Houser (A) Roberta Ingranata, Warina Sahadewa (CA) Simone Di Meo
A brand new, never-before-seen adventure featuring the Fugitive Doctor in her comics debut!
Working for the mysterious...
LegoK9 — Doctor Who Origins #1

ETA: Troughton made quite an impression on me when I saw his eps as a child. The only things I remember are his bowl cut and flute, nothing about those eps, and that I absolutely adored him. Adored him to the point that I immediately ID’d him decades later, in a quick shot near the beginning of an ep of [Inspector] Morse. (I only began watching Morse a coupla years ago.) Gone were the flute and bowl cut, he was scruffy AF, glasses, aged, had a raincoat worthy of Columbo other than the grease stains…but I knew him straightaway :smiley:

I’ve seen him in a few other things, and pointed him out to my BF, who eventually vaguely remembered having seen a couple eps of the Second Doctor. He’s a musician: mentioning the flute’s what done it XD

5 Likes

Ah! I somehow missed that! Thanks!

3 Likes