An ode to Tom Baker

I remember seeing every doctor on PBS. Carnival of Monsters seemed to be on quite a lot.

3 Likes

No problem! I enjoy fangirling tophat-biggrin beer
I added a link to the tumblr post re: the comix :slight_smile:

Wish my Doctor Who t-shirts still fit. My fave was also mom’s fave: a photo of the TARDIS flying thru a wonderful Hubble-esque outer space image. On black, of course.

3 Likes

I call him The Great Fourth with good reason :smiley:

The Fifth Dalai Lama is frequently referred to as The Great Fifth, so I couldn’t resist.

3 Likes

Even younger Capaldi was “probably the biggest fan in Scotland of Dr Who”:

(I was a little bit too young for Lair of the White Worm, so he’s always been Uncle Rory and/or the Angel Islington for me)

8 Likes

Four was my first Doctor, and made me an instant fan. Thanks all the gods for PBS in the 70s!

5 Likes

I have been on a frenzy as of late in getting the rediscovered and partially animated stories. 3 companions who really got the short shrift from the videotape junking are Ben, Polly and Victoria. The animated bits are meh, but its better than watching telesnaps or not seeing a story at all.

Plus for several stories the animation improved on the originals with effects they could never do back in the day (Power of the Daleks The Macra Terror, The Faceless Ones and Fury from the Deep)

3 Likes

Oooh, Elizabeth Sladen is my favorite companion actress of all time. Lucky guy.

2 Likes

I hate to say this, but she might be my least favorite companion. She never seemed able to do much more than scream and be in danger… It has been a while since I’ve seen the Troughton era episodes with her (back when the original DVDs came out).

I’m actually currently watching the story where she first appears (Evil of the Daleks, recreated with animation, and a disk with the telesnaps like you mentioned). So far, she’s only been in a couple of scenes, but presumable she’ll be in more of the episode and will prove to be more well-rounded than I remember from the episodes I’ve seen with her.

Now my favorite from the Troughton era (one of my faves from the classic era generally) is Zoe (along with Jamie).

2nd-doctor-zoe-laughs

She’s just the best, a total bad ass and certified genius!

Also… jamie!

2nd-doctor-jamie-aye

She is tough to beat, honestly… especially her run with Tom Baker…

4th-doctor-sara-jane-mars-nope

6 Likes

An awesome share - thanks!

3 Likes

A cinemaphile pal took me to see LotWW when it came out. The only worse movies I’ve seen were being lol’d at on MST3K and offshoots. Far, far, far worse than The Ninth Gate, which was getting bagged on by some Happy Mutants just a coupla days ago :smiley:

The same friend took me to see Gothic, which was fandamntastic, and has stood th’ test of Time. ETA: No one, and I mean No One does anxiety-ridden freaked-the-fuck-out’edness quite like the divine Julian Sands!

2 Likes

Most of the time she is sidelined, abducted or being chased. Victoria comes off best in Enemy of the World (recently rediscovered in its entirety). A story without any aliens or monsters to scream at. Where Victoria and Jamie pretend to be BF/GF in order to infiltrate the villain’s household staff.

Yes, Zoe and Jamie are the best companion pair of the Troughton era. Both characters really developed a fun sibling thing, with the Doctor as a doddering uncle (an adult, but not authority figure). The crying shame was their fate in their last story.

3 Likes

Here’s another useful link:
Fugitive Doctor | Tardis | Fandom

Oh, and do check out these delights:
you can do the explaining, martian boy - Doctor Who | The Onion headlines (pt. 1/?)

you can do the explaining, martian boy - Doctor Who | The Onion headlines (pt. 2/?)

you can do the explaining, martian boy - Doctor Who | The Onion headlines (pt. 3)

you can do the explaining, martian boy - Doctor Who | The Onion headlines (pt. 4)

3 Likes

Eccleston is my second favorite after Baker.

3 Likes

I just watched the Sea Devils special tonight (no spoilers from me) and you get a glimpse of Tegan and Ace in the credits for the next special.

5 Likes

Happy Surprise GIF by The Joy Experiment

Excited The Child GIF by Disney+

4 Likes

It’s such a shame Eccleston had to quit. He hated the way everything was rushed and everyone was under so much pressure. It really messed with his head.

David Tennant married Peter Davison’s daughter, Georgia. She played a character created when Ten was unwittingly subjected to a cloning device, and so is The Doctor’s daughter. Explaining that an actress who played The Doctor’s daughter, who is actually the daughter of an actor who played The Doctor, married the actor playing The Doctor who was her character’s father to my befuddled fellow fans and coworkers at a college bookstore was rather fraught and kinda bizarre. tophat-yes tophat-rofl

Capaldi had been such a massive fanboy, as seen above, when they first spoke with him about wardrobe, he insisted on an outfit that would be easy for fans to replicate :smiley:

10 Likes

Hugh Grant and Peter Capaldi were both wasted in that film.

3 Likes

My biggest problem with the Sea Devils are they look too adorable to be scary/menacing.

3 Likes

…and I wish I’d gone to the theatre much more wasted than I did. It was so awful I was actually angry XD

ETA: LOLZ it was so wretched even Catherine Oxenberg was wasted in it XD XD

3 Likes

I found out some of my non-snooty fellow 7th graders at the snooty private school were also into reading sci-fi and fantasy, and watching Doctor Who and other sci-fi shows and movies. One of them decided to start a sort-of fanclub; nothing organized or anything, just hang out once in a while and talk about it. I’d heard a little about the club, and was intrigued when I was invited over to our friend Jim’s.

Five other guys were there, and I was the only girl. Looking around at the kindly, intelligent, nerdy company, I realized it must be a club meeting! Jim’s room was full of wonderful Star Wars, Star Trek, and other similar toys and action figures. I knew how expensive some of that stuff was, and marvelled in general at what goodies rich kids must get. Only books outnumbered the toys, which I also thought was fantastic.

Jim jokingly said, “Now, the meeting will come to order,” and we cracked up. We began discussing the latest issue of Isaac Asimov’s Science Fiction magazine (my mom had a sub!), then moved on to other topics, like how well their various (and our only) TVs had picked up TVO’s most recent Doctor Who ep.

After a while, Jim had a couple announcements. He’d had t-shirts printed w/the club’s name on! He’d also taken a vote during the last meeting, and it was unanimously decided that I should be invited to join the club! I happily accepted, and Jim handed me my shirt, a rocketship and SPACE CADETS proudly emblazoned thereon XD

I sadly was able to attend only one more meeting, during which I was told no club member’s parents were willing to host a female Space Cadet. I was also informed, before I could ask, that none of the Space Cadets’ parents would allow them to gather at mine. Everyone, esp Jim, was very apologetic. Dunno WTF they thought a buncha awkward AF 7th gd nerds were going to do, but whatever they dreamed up, it was sick and wrong. They probably also didn’t like that I was on a scholarship. sigh

A couple years ago, my BF put on Batman: Gotham by Gaslight, a pretty cool animated film set in the Victorian era. I yelled for him to please pause it, and wouldn’t let him get past the credits until I’d googled the screenwriter.

Jim Krieg was the screenwriter. The president of The Space Cadets grew up to write superhero movies and tv shows!

13 Likes