An on-going thread of Trump's Legal woes

One of the questions that Trump will be asked is “whether he is associating with criminals,” Weissmann, a legal analyst for MSNBC, told former Biden White House press secretary-turned-network anchor Jen Psaki.

“It is sort of remarkable,” he declared.

Trump will have to “discuss whether he still coordinates with Roger Stone, Paul Mannafort, Steve Bannon,” Weissmann pointed out. “Remember, all of those people have been found guilty by a jury and are felons themselves so that’s another area where the probation department could ask questions and it’ll be interesting to see what Donald Trump has to say about that.”

15 Likes

Afterward, I presume? I don’t imagine the content of probation interviews is public info.

7 Likes

Trump should be required to wear a body camera.

10 Likes
10 Likes

the pardon power is a tool to serve the public interest, not personal interests.

So much for that:

Some kind of norm…has prevented presidents, who have often otherwise maintained their near-absolute power to pardon, from pardoning themselves.

Frustrated Jason Segel GIF by NETFLIX

12 Likes
16 Likes

Illegal gun possession? Trump’s a member of the Biden Crime Family!

14 Likes
14 Likes

that's not how it works seth meyers GIF

14 Likes
8 Likes

There have been some commentators who say, you know, if he’s president and he’ll elevate her to a higher court and all that. I don’t see that. That would look like a quid pro quo. It would look like a bribe

Why would either of them care about that?

15 Likes

Exactly. It’s one of the few scenarios where T**** actually pays his debts, because if he nominates her to a higher position, it will look like quid pro quo and he will own her forever. Even if there wasn’t an agreement ahead of time, all he would have to do is say there was and she’d be done.

10 Likes

https://bsky.app/profile/joshuajfriedman.com/post/3kv36unffls26

Twenty-four states tell Judge Cannon that they want to file an amicus brief opposing the special counsel’s request to modify Trump’s conditions of release to stop him from inciting threats against law enforcement. https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.flsd.648653/gov.uscourts.flsd.648653.623.0.pdf

Well, I guess we know which way the electoral votes in these states are going to go, despite what their voters do.

Iowa, Florida, West Virginia, Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Wyoming

12 Likes
13 Likes

Like any Senate-confirmed, presidentially appointed judge, she has a life tenure and independent standing and is free to choose to ignore any such advice.

Well, there’s your problem.

13 Likes
11 Likes
10 Likes
12 Likes

I don’t get the bit about jurors, though. That should just be a permanent condition for all defendants in all criminal trials - don’t talk about the jurors.

Also, he kept violating the gag order. One aspect of violating it should be extension until sentencing, at the very least.

14 Likes

I can think of contexts in which it would be appropriate to talk about jurors in the abstract as long as they remain unidentified; for example it is relevant to the public interest to know that Emmett Till’s murderers were acquitted by an all-white jury.

Attacking individual jurors by name or sharing identifying information about them with the public is a whole different situation.

10 Likes