Angry couple tries to paint over city-approved BLM mural, community fights back

The graphic effect of the vandalism said quite an amount about the situation, the chaotic incoherent spatter over the ordered original statement.

2 Likes

I like how she painted neatly within the lines of the original letters so they are still perfectly readable.

2 Likes

Well, he’s just proving the narrative of racism and oppression true. Don’t these people have any kind of self-reflection or sense of irony?

7 Likes

So, there is little to no alcohol consumed? Usually, the booze is the lubricant of violence.

In the video, the lady who was fired up yelling at karen toward the end started calling them colonizers. First time I heard that, that was cool.

2 Likes

Came in here to make this point. Hey Karen, there’s a reason everything in California has Spanish names. What do you suppose that reason is? Even disregarding Native Americans, which you are of course doing, the Spanish were tromping all up and down here enslaving and killing the locals long before white folk ever showed up (intent on the same)

7 Likes

:laughing: :rofl: :upside_down_face: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’d argue that the Spanish were and are white folk, but knowing what kind of a mess “whiteness” is in the US, you are probably at least as right as I am. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am completely befuddled that these people have not been identified yet. Does anyone know why not?

A lot of it actually. It may be subjective but in my case alcohol calms me down.

Spain is in southern Europe, Spaniards often have darker complexions and they are Catholic. They are more likely to be considered white today, but that’s probably a result of the expansion of whiteness during the mid-20th century civil rights movement. Before that, white meant Protestant, non-Slavic northern Europeans. There’s also the history around Spain being the enemy empire during the early colonial period and its ex-colonies forming Latin America, which aren’t white. And remember: history to racists isn’t about facts, it’s a narrative that props up their feelings and closed mindedness.

(I’m Italian American, FWIW, and I don’t particularly like why my Dad and I got to grow up white. Fuck racism.)

giphy

6 Likes

:thinking:

3 Likes

That’s not how alcohol relates to violence in the world at large. There’s a reason the term “bar fight” is a term that gets much more frequent use than, say, “yoga studio brawl.”

15 Likes

Over to the band name thread with you, then.

11 Likes

To be fair, if you got the right mix of Karens and non-Karens at a yoga studio…

12 Likes

“I’ll give YOU ‘Downward Dog,’ you B****!”

[Cat-Cow fight commences]

5 Likes

There’s a gif or two for that.

2 Likes
12 Likes

English and US print media in the 1800s often depicted the Irish as barely human at best or apes at worst. Yes, white mean WASP and non-white meant subhuman.

1 Like

It was mostly the English press and by the 1850s, the Irish in the US dominated democratic politics and policing in cities like NYC and Boston. The Irish became white quite some time ago and have not faced the kind of systemic discrimination faced by Black people in America. None of my Irish American ancestors faced legal barriers for jobs, housing, or public accommodations. They were not nearly as likely to be lynched, even in places where Catholics were suspect. They were not barred from voting. They fucking ACTIVELY pushed for a law that barred Chinese immigration into the US and GOT IT. :woman_shrugging: It’s really time we reflexively say that some Europeans faced discrimination, too, when the topic of racism comes up, because it’s not remotely the same thing at all.

6 Likes